Words as Therapy

7:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 18 Comments

Image by Clker-Free-Vector-Images from Pixabay



Did you know that journaling and writing offer the same benefits as meditation, especially when going old school and using pen and paper?

Last year, I had to put together a community health fair and being a nonprofit, I was looking for different coping skills that people could do on the cheap and easy. So, I started doing my research and found a program that  not only could we afford to present to the public, but it also held the answer to one of my commonly asked writer questions: "What made you want to start writing?" 
Now, we writers know the answer to that question is obvious. It's compulsive insanity. But to the non-writer, that answer doesn't cut it.  They want to know WHY??? Why would someone spend hours and hours working on projects that barely earn them enough money to support their chocolate habit?
I honestly never could explain it, so my simple answer was that writing is cheaper than therapy.

Little did I know my sassy explanation wasn’t too far off! Writing is an excellent coping strategy—and not just for the cathartic release of personal thoughts. Therapeutic writing doesn't have to be the identification and documentation of profound inner thoughts. It can be anything*, even repeating a single word or phrase like a written chant has a calming effect because you're focusing the brain on the process—pen moving across paper, going from blank page to filled page. 

After I learned about the benefits of writing and journaling as a form of meditation, I realized I have always used words and writing as a coping technique. My jesting was on target. Whenever I hit a block in a story, I’ve always grabbed a notebook and started scribbling. Whenever I am overwhelmed by life, I make a list. World in chaos? I journal the day's events like a war diary. And sometimes it's simply page after page of nonsense. Story ideas I never revisit. Poetry that is best used as kindling. Even a doodle. It's the same process. 

This explains why writers love notebooks so much. They're more than a blank canvas. They're like a tonic for the brain. 

I wonder though...have computers replaced your notebooks? Or are you still a scribbler? 

 


 

Image by OpenClipart-Vectors from Pixabay

*Anything but angry manifestos. Those never lead to anything good. If whatever words you choose to write requires white-knuckling the pen and gouging holes in the paper, call a therapist. You may need someone to talk to.  

18 comments:

  1. I have to admit, my first time participating in NaNo converted me completely to using the computer. But I can see how writing in a tablet could be like therapy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would bet that writing on the computer might have some of the same benefits too. Seeing words appear on a blank page onscreen is pretty sweet too.

      Delete
  2. I write every day, using a fountain pen, in my journal. I do a lot of writing on computer but would miss the more immediate connection of pen (or pencil) and paper. You're right, it is therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pen and paper are my go-to, are where I start pretty much everything - brainstorming, jotting down a brief description or a snippet of a dream, a story idea, etc. I'll grab whatever's handy - notebooks, pads of paper, lots and lots of scrap paper, post its - I've even written in the blank spaces on those subscription cards in magazines. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I'll find those scraps and sometimes think- that's pretty good. Other times, I'll think, what the heck was I thinking? This makes zero sense.

      Delete
  4. For research/notes I have electronic notebooks through Evernote. For personal journaling, I use a notebook/journal with pen, pencil, watercolor pencils and other sundry art supplies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art is very therapeutic. I have zero artistic talent, but I will do craft projects because they just make me feel more relaxed. I've also started doing puzzles. I thought I would hate them, but now I see why people like them.

      Delete
  5. I love writing by candlelight, at times I have no idea as to what I will write, but as soon as I place my pen on the paper that is when it begins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven;t journaled in a long time, but I can say writing my five book series was therapy, especially the second book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Journaling daily in longhand is my therapy for sure. When I work on a book I use both longhand and a laptop, often alternating between drafts with one or the other. I absolutely love writing and can't imagine ever not doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? Writers understand the need and the joy of the process.

      Delete
  8. I know. I keep hearing how much more beneficial it is to handwrite versus type. I'm doing more meditation and journaling these days. Very good for the soul!
    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the handwriting way is what works best for me. But I've toyed with doing a journal in Word. I would be able to add pictures and print it out later. That would be a pretty nice way to document the good times.

      Delete
  9. Great post and so true. When I was stressed in college, I'd write poetry and it would calm me.
    Have a wondrous weekend. Write on:)
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’ve tried note taking on my ipad using my ipencil. I have also tried keeping an online planner but didn’t stick to either one. I really want to though. I just havn’t found a comfort in one. I still use a planner on my desk that I write notes in with a pencil. I also have a rocket book erasable note pad.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...