Farewells...IWSG for May 2023

10:04 AM Elizabeth Seckman 19 Comments


World Castle, the small press most of my books are published with, had a horrible April. We lost not one, but two of the greatest ladies in the group. When I first signed with WC, Fran would answer all of my stupid newbie writer questions and offer me advice on everything from writing to cat food. She was a book lover, award-winning poet, and author. 
Fran passed away in April after a battle with breast cancer. 

Fran's Books
Fran's Writings

I found out about Fran's passing when I stopped by the private WC author group to check up the health of  on one of my favorite editors in the universe, Maxine Bringenberg. Maxine was the editor on a couple of my books and I absolutely LOVED working with her. She was funny, intelligent, and oh so good at helping me get a story to just the right place without making me pout or feel like I was inept with words. At the opening of Hoosier Dad, her note said...this opening line would be fine for most writers, but I expect more from you. How's that for a spoon full of sugar with the medicine? That's just how Maxine was. Thoughtful in her wisdom. 

Since Maxine was an editor and didn't have a public page, I'm not adding one of her personal photos.  I did take a meme from her Facebook page that shows her love of words and family. 

So, what does this have to do with insecurity? It's a reinforcing reminder to me that time is limited. When it comes to my writing, I always allow it to take the first hit when I'm busy. I've started saying no to a few things so I have more time for writing, which has sparked huge levels of insecurity. I'm not good at saying no.  

I'll also add in a lifestyle insecurity. I spend a lot of time with my butt in a chair. I know I need to change that, but knowing and doing are two different things. 

I'll sign off now with a hug. We may never meet in real life, but through our words, you are my friend and you matter. Take care of yourself. Write something today. Enjoy the journey. Even if we don't rack up cash, the friends we make in the process are better than gold. 


A special thanks to the IWSG team of admins and to this month's awesome co-hosts Joylene Nowell Butler, Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Meka James, Victoria Marie Lees, and M Louise Barbour!

19 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you lost two special writing friends. Life is very short indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry, Elizabeth.

    The sign off paragraph on this post was lovely. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry, Elizabeth. I know how hard it is to lose those we care about. Special hug for you today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post, Elizabeth. I've lost 3 friends this year and now another is losing his battle with cancer. I weep at a moment's notice these days. Cyberhugs are coming at you. Stay strong. Death is only a new beginning. I know that's not easy to remember some days. Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry for the loss of your friends. You're right that life is short, but you're not alone in having to put the writing aside when life gets too busy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry for your loss. Wow, two. That's rough. Hang in there. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for the loss of these friends. The connections we make in life play a huge part of who we are. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well said.
    IWSG or no, I will continue to harass you. You can't get rid of me that easily.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hugs, Elizabeth. Writing friends are wonderful..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stepping away and stepping back is never easy. Saying no is a struggle when you want to do it all and be there for everyone. I'm glad you're prioritizing yourself, though. And I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry for the loss of your friends. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry, Elizabeth. Give yourself all the care and support you deserve.
    Hugs backatchu.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Elizabeth, I am so sorry for your losses. They sounded like incredible women.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so sorry for your losses.

    Nothing but respect for you for choosing to step back to readjust the balance in your life. I've had to step back from fiction writing most of this year because of work commitments. I miss it, and I'll get back to it, but I feel more balanced and less stressed by narrowing my focus for a bit. I hope you reap the same benefits, and I hope you find your way back to writing (if you want to) when you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry for your losses.

    Sometimes it takes a moment of stark reality like that to think about our own lives. For me it's almost the reverse, but I'm not sure it's something I'm ready to admit in public. (I've admitted it to myself and vow to make changes, which is the most important thing.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...