The Post About Something

6:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 16 Comments


I decided to move my posts to Wednesdays. This decision was made while I was frantically throwing clothes in a suitcase last Friday before leaving for South Carolina and didn't have a post ready. Wednesdays make more sense anyhow. That way, IWSG posts aren't off-schedule and posting on Fridays is silly. People are busy on Fridays.

That, boys and girls, is what we call rationalization.
Meet Ellie. She's a darn good reason to 
drive 18 hours in a weekend. 

In this case, it worked so I'll not fight it.

Speaking of not fighting irrational thinking, have you watched Hoarders on A&E? It's about people who are drowning in stuff and the attempts of experts and family members to get through to them. I watch it as a cautionary tale. Keep the rationalizations to the small things, like blog days.

My son thinks I'm goofy, like I'm thinkin g I'm one more box in the basement away from being on the show.

He's right. I can imagine it. No one plans to go off the deep end. But sometimes, when the right set of events hit the right personality at a time when there is emotional fragility or lack of support, it's the perfect storm. And anyone can get caught in a storm. Especially when they are pretty good at rationalizing things to themselves. A-hem.

Now, I'm not saying I need an intervention or anything. I'm just saying, I can see how it happens, so nothing inspires me to get off my duff and start spring cleaning faster than a few episodes of Hoarders. 


Beware the rationalizations! 

16 comments:

  1. Going through everything and chucking stuff is fun though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When there is less of everything, it's so much easier to clean what's left. My difficulty is that I have grown children who have their own stacks of stuff they need me to keep until they have a place. Now I know why my mom brought me a carload of boxes as soon as I bought a house.

      Delete
  2. The moment it's gone; "now what did I do with ... "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be my husband. He always regrets a good purge.

      Delete
  3. My mother was a borderline hoarder. Born at the end of the Depression, she wanted to save everything. And when she and my stepfather built a new house on the property, they kept the old one to store stuff in. You can only imagine what I had to sort through eight years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother was the same, though it was very well organized. It killed her to toss things that could be reused or repurposed. But I'll give her credit, she could make a craft out of trash like a pro.

      Delete
  4. I'm definitely in spring cleaning mode, and pretty much am so terrified of becoming a hoarder that I also have summer, fall, and winter cleaning as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like the way to stay on top of it! I'm doing pretty well ditching my stuff, now I need to prod some of the men in my house to let go of some things.

      Delete
  5. Don't really have a lot of room for storage or hoarding and don't hoarders end up with a load of junk too like old pizza boxes and wrappers etc. I don't think you do that Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. I think once they get overwhelmed with stuff, it gets harder to clean and pretty soon it probably feels pointless.

      And you're right. I do throw out the trash.

      Delete
  6. I've never watched hoarders as I don't get A&E, but I've heard of it and would like to see at least one episode. My mother could be a hoarder, is probably a bit of one, but at least you can still walk through her house! We got rid of so much stuff when we moved, I swear I never want that much again! I spring-cleaned my yard this past weekend! Hopefully I'll have a "lawn" soon instead of a mud pit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After my grandma and father died, my mother started hoarding. She wanted to keep everything and was compulsively buying to the point that you couldn't safely walk through her house. But it didn't last long. Mom just didn't want anything tossed, so I convinced her that Goodwill and Salvation Army were great places to donate and help people. That helped her cut the emotional ties to the stuff. It can be hard to toss things when it feels like those things are your last ties to the people you've lost.

      Delete
  7. What a great pic of you and Ellie! She's a cutie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every time I clean out a cluttered drawer, I think I'm superwoman. It makes me feel in charge!

    Have a safe trip and happy Easter!

    Cherdo
    Cherdo on the Flipside
    Blogging from A-to-Z April Challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! A tidy space makes my brain feel less crowded and it's easier to think too.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...