Kidzzz...

6:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 26 Comments

My boys and I a few years ago...
With graduation less than a week away, I can't help but look back and wonder where the time went. I know I'm not alone. I think it's a question anyone with a growing child asks.

The clock moved a little slower while we obsessed over the little things, like potty training, car seats, and growing teeth. There were days, especially those that followed sleepless nights, when I would wonder if the clock stopped completely. A time when rest and  down time were so scarce, I'd have done anything for a few extra winks or. Plenty of times, I would sleep on the boys' bedroom floor so when one of them woke up and yelled, "Mom." I could answer without moving, "I'm right here; go back to sleep."

One of my favorite ways to get them to settle down and go to sleep? Books, of course! My kids would quietly listen to story after story, chapter after chapter.  Books were like magic ushering in the sandman to make them all snooze.

Now, they read their books on their own. Le sigh.

Speaking of a great book for little kids (and big kids)...

SOME VERY MESSY MEDIEVAL MAGIC

By C. Lee McKenzie

Pete’s stuck in medieval England!

Pete and his friend Weasel thought they’d closed the Time Lock. But a young page from medieval times, Peter of Bramwell, goes missing. His absence during a critical moment will forever alter history unless he’s found.

There’s only one solution - fledgling wizard Pete must take the page’s place. Accompanied by Weasel and Fanon, Pete’s alligator familiar, they travel to 1173 England.

But what if the page remains lost - will Pete know what to do when the critical moment arrives? Toss in a grumpy Fanon, the duke’s curious niece, a talking horse, and the Circle of Stones and Pete realizes he’s in over his young wizard head yet again...



Release date – May 15, 2018
Juvenile Fiction - Fantasy & Magic/Boys & Men
$13.95 Print ISBN 9781939844460
$3.99 EBook ISBN 9781939844477

C. Lee McKenzie has a background in Linguistics and Inter-Cultural Communication, but these days her greatest passion is writing for young readers. When she’s not writing she’s hiking or traveling or practicing yoga or asking a lot questions about things she still doesn’t understand.


 Celebrate the Small ThingsTo be part of this blog hop, all you have to do is visit the Celebrate page on Lexa's Blog for the rules, and then post every Friday about something you're grateful  for that week.  It can be about writing or family or school or general life.  This is the funnest and easiest blog hop ever! (Originated by VikLit)

Seeing writers and bloggers step up to help a friend is heart warming. Lee McKenzie's newest book (the one shared above) was released two days before her husband passed away. Book launches are always busy times, so trying to spread the word about a new book in the middle of a family tragedy is unimaginable. Fortunately, there is solidarity among the word-loving ranks. While Lee takes care of her family, we'll be taking care of her by posting, tweeting, and sharing the news of her book. That sort of solidarity is something to celebrate. 

26 comments:

  1. I was right there with you smiling through your recount of time, children, and sleeping on the floor. I read bedtime stories every night to my two kids and I'm introducing my daughter to some of my classic favorite books. These past 8 weeks have been the slow weeks for me with continued illness, but FINALLY, we are all crawling out of it. I hope you have a lovely summer and I have Lee in my prayers every day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing about older kids is that you can have deeper discussions about the books. LOL.

      I hope you enjoy your summer too. I'm glad to hear you guys are feeling better!

      Delete
  2. They will always be your boys.
    Everyone has been posting for Lee, which is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's why, no matter how busy I get, I will always keep blogging. There is a camaraderie among bloggers that is amazing.

      Delete
  3. It's been great to see all of the support for Lee. My heart goes out to her and her family. Looks like you've done great raising those boys :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all officially young men and not an ax murderer in the bunch. Three cheers for me!!

      Delete
  4. Books are the solutions to many problems, the answers to many questions.

    Sending prayers to Lee and her family....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure they've loved you sleeping on their floor (although they'd never admit it). It always amazes me how wonderfully supportive many here are —always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In no time, they were crashing on the floor too and everyone was "camping" indoors.

      Bloggers really are amazing!!

      Delete
  6. Books sure help win the day. Sleeping on the floor was sure a good idea to get a little extra sleep. Or at least not have to move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes to getting my Z's, I can be very creative.

      Delete
  7. Time stopped when I was in labor with my son. After he was born, it moved faster and faster and now my children are adults. I miss the fun times we had together.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right! Pretty sure those few hours of labor lasted a few years.

      Delete
  8. It's been lovely to see Lee's book featured in so many different places.

    Those baby years are so far away, aren't they? :-(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the time gauge of our lives is more logarithmic than linear. The older we get, the faster it moves. It's hard to believe three of our grandchildren have already graduated from high school, because it doesn't seem like all that many years since my husband and I graduated...

    How wonderful that so many bloggers have come together to help with the launch of Lee's new book. My heart and prayers go out to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're completely right about the curious logarithm. Every year that goes by goes a little faster.

      Delete
  10. Time sure speeds up the older you get. I don't think time really goes in a straight line. When you're waiting on a toddler it seems to last for ever. But don't worry, the toddler thinks so, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those toddler years did seem like they lasted forever!

      Delete
  11. Yes, it's great to have support. I thought my son would love reading books, but he does most of his reading online and usually it's research on weird subjects, including wrestlers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are constantly reading on the internet. I suppose since we're adding content to the internet, the net is a good place to read.

      Delete
  12. Hi, Elizabeth...

    Yes, time does fly...even if you don't have children.... Days, weeks, years, pass with the blinking of an eye. Your boys are very, very lucky to have such a caring and supportive mother. You, as their role model, will in turn, be wonderful and caring parent too! That is your legacy....

    This community is amazing. I have been blogging for over eight years now and even thought the blogging world has changed a lot since I started, the one thing that hasn't changed is the support! I am so thankful for it. WE are all a caring and rare breed of people. It's reassuring to know that has NOT changed.

    All our love and prayers go out to Lee at this time. She needs it right now and thankfully everyone is coming through for her.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah yes, with my kiddos being 4 & 7, I'm still amazed at how quickly time is passing.

    My heart goes out to Lee. I hope she's surrounded by those she loves as she goes through this loss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Time flies:) My boys are little, but even now it seems like they grow up so fast:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reading at bedtime was always a ritual in our house as well. Love and miss all those times!!! It does go by too fast!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...