Elves vs. Hobbits: an IWSG post

6:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 50 Comments

http://moviemaniac-2013.blogspot.com/2013/01/the-lord-of-rings-fellowship-of-ring.html
 From Movie Maniac Blog
Newbie writers, myself included, start out under the illusion that the writer life is like that of the elven world. Cloaked in magic, being a writer would mean being a member of a reclusive, exclusive club. It's a world where tomes are spun while dressed in silk pajamas with crystal glasses of
chardonnay. It's a world where the marketing is handled by dwarves and the mystical beings, AKA writers, need only come out of their cloud-crowned castles to walk among the unwashed masses when rousted to preserve the harmony of their world, i.e., mingle among the common folk when it is time to autograph books.

This magical world is rarely accurate and often a cause for disillusionment and insecurity.

Pictures from Padawanjenn
But take heart. The writing life may not radiate elfen magic, but it is a very special world. Much like the hobbit world where shoeless, hungry creatures dwell in their cozy little homes, emerging only for meals or to watch each other's backs. Hobbits are rarely exotic, but they do have a special power. Their greatest magic is the relationship they have with other hobbits. Now, that's something to feel secure about.


The next IWSG Day will be June 6
Sign up here.

OPTIONAL IWSG Day Question: What's harder for you to come up with, book titles or character names? Definitely the title! They make books full of baby (or character) names. Another great spot is the US Social Security list of most popular names. This is especially helpful when writing historical novels. FYI, for 2017 the most popular names were Emma for a girl and Liam for a boy. See the whole list or check other years HERE. 
 
Thanks to our energetic leader, Alex Cavanaugh and this month's Co-Hosts: Beverly Stowe McClure, Tyrean Martinson, and Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor!


50 comments:

  1. Hobbits and authors stick together!
    I'd still rather be an elf though...
    Titles are my bane as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the comparison of the writing life to the Hobbit world! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd fit well in the hobbit world. It might be cool to have to duck in a doorway for once in my life.

      Delete
  3. Writing and the Hobbit world. The comparison says a lot. I believe the magic is just as strong. The writer moves into a world that not only fascinates, but it changes the one who is creating story. Love your comparison.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I have learned more from fellow writers than anywhere else.

      Delete
  4. I hear you on the Elf fantasy. I know it's not real. But I want it, pointy ears and ALL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta love the magic of watching out for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My feet look more hobbit-like than elfen, but I digress. Writing does provide an elfen escape, even for someone like me, well past my elfen years. I don't write fantasy, but writing offers the ultimate fantasy world, and we all need a little escape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about being past your elfen years, I think they live for centuries. So, we're like toddlers in elfen years. :)

      Delete
  7. I always identified more with hobbits. Seems like I'm in good company!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely more hobbit than elf and I'm okay with that.

      Delete
  8. I like the elves, though. :( Haha But hobbits are stronger and smarter than they first appear...they persevere against all odds...that sounds like a writer to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? We're hobbits. We'll carry our burdens to the fires of Mordor together, if we must!

      Delete
  9. Hey! I was thinking about you the other day. Been working on the family genealogy and discovered cousins are thick as thieves in WV. Who knew. If your neighbor is a Wheeler, Lancaster, Buckland, or Cox, you can tell 'em you know their cuz Mac from Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the analogy. Hobbits get more meals, so it's nice to be a hobbit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hobbits do appreciate the fundamentals more than anyone.

      Delete
  11. Lol, good LOTR references:) Definitely feel the Hobbit vibe, although being an elf sounds better:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely LOVE your analogy. We Hobbits are all in this together. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL! It's so true. I love how you put that. Hobbits appreciate fine cheese more than elves too, so there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have to stick by those hobbits indeed. The name list is a great resource to use.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want elfin magic but I love how you describe hobbits. I could be one of those--if someone else would do the marketing for me. Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The idea of shutting myself in a nice cozy Hobbit hole and writing in front of a fire does sound pretty good. Meanwhile I'll just have to settle for my basement.

    I've looked through those name lists, but I still never seem to find anything I like. I think I'm the problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would enjoy living in a hobbit hole too.

      If I can't choose a name, I go with random selection. Takes the pressure off.

      Delete
  17. LOL what a fab post, Elizabeth! It is a magical world in a sense, isn't it? But how wonderful it would be if the elves could do the marketing for us!!
    Hugs
    Suzy xx
    www.suzyturner.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. You had me at hobbit! Love your metaphor! And titles for me too . . . seems to be the popular answer by far.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love that comparison! Sometimes we do wish to be elves, but I'm happy as a hobbit. :) Hobbit high five!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would love to be disillusioned for at least one day. :) Thank you for this creative post Elizabeth. I don't like coming up with titles at all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disillusionment happens...usually when the marketing starts. :)

      Delete
  21. The Hobbitses often stick together. It's a beautiful thing. Been reading Bella's Point. I'm really enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're enjoying it! You know how happy that makes me!

      Delete
  22. Great post, Elizabeth!

    I read an interesting IWSG post where the author said she researches geography and culture before settling on a name. Another IWSG participant said that a name needs to also be decade-appropriate, which makes sense if one actually wants to find the best possible name for the character.
    For me? I like the ‘sound’ of a name. But as wonderful as a name ‘sounds’, the aural appeal should ideally be secondary to the appropriateness of the name.
    And talking about fantasy, another post mentioned writers should stop using character names with weird spellings like substituting a 'y' for an 'i' or an 'e' so the name looks exotic. Or making up a name that is impossible to pronounce.
    That made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's perfectly fine to go with the sound of a name. You know in every decade and every realm, there are people with names that don't fit inside any boxes.

      Delete
  23. Yep, I came across this too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The comparison between writing and hobbits is apt.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...