Snow Day Post

7:52 AM Elizabeth Seckman 24 Comments

It's cold and snowy here which makes me want to hibernate and bake. A warm stove on a winter day makes me feel all cozy inside and out. Sure, I could turn up the heater but that doesn't smell delicious. And you can't eat it at the end of the day. 

Another wonderful thing for a snowy day? A good read! 

I just finished A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles and I loved it. It was one of those kind of books that makes me envious of other writers. It's a clever page turner that had me chuckling one minute and holding my breath the next. Oh, and the sarcasm! There was a part in the book where Count Alexander boasts about the wonder of communism by describing how Russians have perfected the line. Russians know how to make the straightest lines ever and that in these lines, a person has the opportunity to catch up with neighbors, make new friends, and sometimes, if you're in line a very long time, one could possibly make a romantic match. Towles does all of this without being heavy handed or preachy. It's simply a wonderful story with lots of bits and parts to relish. 



Such a well-written story! I wish I had that kind of talent!

*Okay, so when I say page-turner, I mean that euphorically because I didn't actualize read this book, I listened to it– remember, I'm cooking today! Listening to a story counts as reading in my book, no pun intended or avoided. Audio books are the best gift to multi-taskers everywhere. They are expensive, so I get mine from my public library. With my library card, I have downloaded the Libby app (click here for more information) on my phone and I have free audio books to keep me company while I clean the house, drive my car, or as I'm getting to sleep at night. 

That's my quickie post for this week. Check out the book. Check out the app. I think it's available to all libraries in the US. Outside the US? Sorry, I don't know what's available. 

Have you tried Libby? Do you have an alternative to Libby? Ever read anything by Towles? 

Now for some shameless self-promotion...my own snowy day story!

Fate Intended 
4.7 stars on Goodreads 
Buy Links :)

Trip is the last of the Coulter sons to find love. He’s smart…he’s handsome…he’s a shadow op. He’s a man with all the skills a spy needs. But when it comes to relationships, he misses the target.

Jane is sweet…she’s beautiful…she’s a cleaning lady. She’s a woman with all the skills a lady needs to sweep a man’s heart right into her hands. She may also be wanted for murder, but she has her sights set on Trip.

Trip sees her every day, but he never really sees her at all until fate and his bitchy girlfriend bring them together. Nothing about Olivia is average. Not her looks, her body, nor her obnoxiousness.

When Olivia turns her full fury on Jane, it’s Trip to the emotional rescue. For him, it’s an opportunity to make amends. For Jane, it’s an opportunity to make dreams come true…to make reality as it was intended to be.

24 comments:

  1. I know about the Libby app but I've never used it. No snow here, but we are still under freezing and it's after lunch already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use it a lot. It's saving me a fortune! Cold without snow is just no fair!

      Delete
  2. Never heard of Libby. Wish we had snow...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the book recommendations. It's frigid here--17 today is a high. I've been staying home and reading more too. And I use Libby all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you've enjoyed your snow day! I use Libby often and Overdrive even more. Love the library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd not heard of Overdrive. I'll be checking that out.

      Delete
  5. Is this a new one? Fate Intended?
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the second book published. An oldie, but a goodie?

      Delete
    2. If you wrote it, it's got to be good. Sounds like a TBR:)
      Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

      Delete
  6. I like listening to books, but the voice is important. If the voice doesn't please, I can't listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a grand weekend. Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Elizabeth, thanks for popping in to see me at Marmelade Gypsy. This really was the most marvelous book (and I turned the pages!). Snow days are very good for such things! All good wishes for you book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much appreciated! I'm hoping to try the pretzel recipe this weekend. That sounds like a good snow day treat!

      Delete
  9. Yay for shameless self-promotion. It's your blog! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been listening to marketing podcasts. They say I should be mentioning books periodically. Crazy a writer mentions a book, right?

      Delete
  10. Is it still snowing? Ingesting stories, no matter what method you use, is reading in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never read anything by Towles. Sounds like a fascinating writer.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...