Hunting Shanty

4:21 PM Elizabeth Seckman 16 Comments

The end of day one, Artemis and me
My husband tied my scarf around my cold ears in the trendy newborn fashion.   


In an effort to never be bored, my husband and I used our little bit of free time to build him and the boys a hunting shanty. 

I don't hunt. I hate it. I mean, conceptually, I am okay with it. But it's not ever going to be one of my hobbies. I am fine with sending my guys out into the woods. While they're gone, I have unfettered writing time. But in order for them to go out and stay out...they need shelter. So, we gathered all sorts of salvage building materials from the farm and got to work. The only thing we bought was screws and hinges. One week later and we were done. It's not the fanciest, but it's solid and we finished on time and within budget. 

FrankenBuilding

With a view like this, I may just be using the shanty too! 

The book connection...

I've been reading the Yellow Bird Sings, by Jennifer Rosner, a WWII story about a woman who has to send her daughter to live in an orphanage while she hides with two other women in the Polish woods to escape the Nazis.  It was a bitter winter, they were poorly dressed and had to forage for roots and mushrooms to eat. I can't truly imagine what that is like. I've never been hungry, much less starved. To me, roughing it is being out in the woods in the mediocre cold with a belly full of hot wings, wool socks, a warm coat, and sturdy boots. 

The things I take for granted! Which reminded me of quote. I forget where I first heard it, or who said it, but I like it enough to turn it into a meme: 


Which reminds me...




16 comments:

  1. The shanty looks good. It is a gift to be able to be thankful - too much we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mean to say that if I provide a shelter, my guys will go out and stay out? BRB, gotta run to Home Depot...

    Seriously, that's a pretty solid-looking shanty. Well done! And Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You also have to supply them with snacks, but yeah, they'll sit in the woods for days...

      Delete
  3. When it's not hunting season and warm out, it could totally be your writing shanty. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't even have internet, so no distractions either. You're a genius!

      Delete
  4. That looks brilliant, and that view! Yes, it's easy to count our blessings when we look at what others have had to endure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to turn the shanty into a she shack:)
    Hugs, Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Yellow Bird Sings sounds pretty intense.
    Have a great one.
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll bet your buys love their Shanty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't enjoy hunting either. Too cold. But it is a lovely shanty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm going to come be a squatter in that cabin. The guys can give it up. LOL
    Great quote. I have been stopping to count my blessings more and more lately.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...