Wedding Season

3:14 PM Elizabeth Seckman 16 Comments


Congratulations to my niece Stacey and her new husband Oscar. 
They're off to a good start: they did the cake right. Either they intuitively knew the importance of the cake cutting, or she's heard my many, many wedding-day lectures about the bad luck of cake smearing. If I had the money, I'd fund a study to see if there is any correlation between marital discord and cake smearing.

 Thirty-one years ago, my husband and I faced off with our own slices of wedding cake. There were calls from our crowd of guests for him to smear the cake on my face. I remember thinking, "Oh no, he wouldn't...would he??"

This was the same guy who'd never hesitate to yell snake in the woods to hear me squeal or see me run. But that didn't mean he'd rub icing all over my face...did it?

Cake smearing is one of my biggest romantic pet peeves. Had I remembered to tell him that? 

The sharing of the cake is symbolic of a couple's dedication to each other...the promise to nourish and care for one another. So, in my mind, using it as a first-strike opportunity would certainly be bad luck. 

I admit. I was a bit nervous. 

Fortunately, my young groom knew me well enough to know I wouldn't have thought icing all over my face was funny, and as he said later...he thought I looked pretty on our wedding day; why would he want to ruin that? 

Good call , Mr. Seckman. Mrs. Seckman adores you and your thoughtfulness for thirty-one years and counting. 

*Now, I know a lot of happily married folks who were cake smearers. I suspect the trick is a union of like-minded cake smearers. If both are smearers, they'd probably enjoy a bit of wedding cake up the nose and a lifetime of pranks and shenanigans together. 

How about you? To smear or not to smear? 

16 comments:

  1. I can't imagine doing that to my wife. I had a co-worker whose husband did that and in less than two years, they were divorced,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a good husband as well.

      I'll add them to my unscientific survey of the bad luck of the custom.

      Delete
  2. Awww, thirty--one years and you still adore your husband. That is special.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never, never smear. I don't know if it means the marriage won't last, but it's ugly and hostile. Before my son married, I talked to him and the bride about it. They stated immediately that they would not engage in such behavior. I was relieved. During the reception when someone made a mysognistic comment to my son about his beautiful new wife, I was glad he gave that fellow a nasty look.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yu raised him well! There always seems to be some joker in the crowd who would enjoy turning the ceremony into a wrestling match.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of cake smearing, What an odd custom. I would take a very dim view of it. Cake is for eating :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens far too often around here. Google wedding cake smash on YouTube. There are some examples on there that would have had me filing for a divorce come Monday morning.

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of this before. When we got married, thirty three years ago, it was just a case of cutting the cake, or posing as though you were cutting the cake for a photograph. My daughter got married last year and they cut the cake and shared a slice, but smearing, no!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I just know a lot of weird people. LOL. I'm glad it's not a common thing!

      Delete
  6. Yup, no smearing. That would have caused a mushroom cloud to appear over the groom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, and congratulations to the bride and groom. 🍾🥂

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like that might be something to discuss before hand and make sure you are on the same page about before doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huge congrats to Stacey and Oscar.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...