IWSG November 2020 Update

7:36 AM Elizabeth Seckman 19 Comments


Albert Camus once said, “The purpose of a writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself.” Flannery O’Conner said, “I write to discover what I know.” Authors across time and distance have had many reasons to write. 

Why do you write what you write? I'm a natural born daydreamer who enjoys frequent breaks from reality.  Writing is my favorite way of controlling an out-of-control world. At it's most basic, it's my tendency reconstruct reality...what if instead of this happening, what if that happened? In the beginning, this resulted in nothing more useful than scraps of stories, weak poetry, and some half-baked essays. It wasn't until my dad and my brother were simultaneously diagnosed with cancer  that my brain started to focus on novel-length stories. Putting together complex, novel-length stories gave my brain something other than tragedy to focus on. Reality left me heart broken; fiction was the balm. With make-believe, I could count on happy endings. Something life never guarantees.  

Speaking of life insisting on being a downer, my husband's father passed away last week. He'd been battling cancer- his fourth or fifth different kind in a decade. He was such a fighter who rarely- if ever- complained about his health that I honestly thought the man could beat anything. He'd overcome leukemia and melanoma without spending a single night in a hospital. Most people would have worried themselves into a grave years ago, but he was pragmatic. And busy. No time to worry over it. He had work to do. And that's what he did. He kept moving forward. Living each day until the very end. I suppose our shock is comforted by the fact that this man, who was never one to be dependent on anyone for anything, never had to feel like he was a burden.

Were this fiction, this would have been nothing more than a temporary all-is-lost moment where everyone hugs at the end and says, "Whew, that was close." 

That is a very good reason to write. 
                                                         
                                                                      💔  


The awesome co-hosts for the November 4 posting of the IWSG are Jemi Fraser, Kim Lajevardi, L.G Keltner, Tyrean Martinson, and Rachna Chhabria!


Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer assistance and guidance. It’s a safe haven for insecure writers of all kinds!


Image by hudsoncrafted from Pixabay

19 comments:

  1. Very sorry to hear about your father-in-law. Prayers for the whole family. I don't blame you for writing for some happy endings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for you and your family's loss, Elizabeth. Your father-in-law sounds like he would make a wonderful character for one of your stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is indeed a very good reason to write. I'm so sorry for your family's loss - he sounds like one of the really good ones!
    So much of your post resonated with me - those what ifs are the basis of the fun - and the balm that writing truly is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for your loss, Elizabeth. I agree. Writing can take us away from the stress and worry.
    Praying for comfort and peace to surround you each day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. I lost mine to brain cancer shortly after I was married. It's rough, and you and your family have my condolences. I hope writing brings some positive vibes during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm also finally able to write to help me not focus on my own losses. I'm very sorry for the loss of your father-in-law. I'm still very close to my father-in-law and will really miss him when I lose him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry about your father-in-law. It's always difficult to lose someone close to us, but this year it seems even more cruel.

    And because life can deal us some severe blows, I also love happy endings. Keep writing them, please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about your loss. You have a great reason to write - and you're providing comfort to others who are going through tough times, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry about your father-in-law. Writing is definitely a helpful escape from real life, especially when the happy endings are guaranteed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your father-in-law. Sending you virtual hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart and thoughts are with you and yours. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry for your loss. Writing can let us forget the world we live in. We can make that world (written)what we can't always make this world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That stinks indeed.

    Great reason to write though. Control it all haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry for your loss! He sounds like an amazing man. Just the kind of hero you write about!
    Here's to all happy endings! Sounds like he would've thought that's just what he got in his own way!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sending you my condolences for your father-in-law.

    My mom read all my books, and liked to hear about my writing. When she was dying of cancer, I'd sit on the couch by her and write. She liked that. And I'd read to her asking her thoughts. Like you, it was my chance to escape what was happening.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry that you lost your father-in-law, Elizabeth. He sounds like a wonderful man. I like stories with a happy ending. Reality can be really tough. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your tribute to you father-in-law. I'm sure you are comforted by many memories of the good days with him. He sounds like a brave man and a good heart.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a rough thing to happen to add to an already insane 2020! Hopefully, it's uphill from here. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, everyone. Writers are always some of the most caring, thoughtful people in the universe. I am truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...