July IWSG: Furry Farewell

6:30 AM Elizabeth Seckman 38 Comments

My first author photo with my furry muse.
June was a rough month. I had to say good bye to my furry writing buddy. He's been my shadow for so many years, it's been an adjustment not having him around. In his last days, he couldn't walk well, but he hated to be left behind, so I'd have to carry him from room to room. If not, he'd cry- real heart-wrenching howls like he'd 
been abandoned in the wild. I know compared to the many ills in the world, losing a dog isn't that big a deal, but still...it's an adjustment. 


Working from the recliner; he'd be content to be the foot warmer. 

Join the IWSG
Thanks to this month's awesome co-hosts:Jenni Enzor, Beth Camp, Liesbet @ Roaming About, Tyrean Martinson, and Sandra Cox! Thanks guys! 

As for insecurities, in the beginning of June, we went to the beach. And then there was the doggy trauma. I didn't feel much like working. I had all the energy of the laziest slug working its way across a summer sidewalk. The more time that passed, the farther I fell behind. Trust me, being that far in the rear can even the most vivacious slug feel worn out and insecure. You know that feeling...where do I even begin to catch up? Then there is the self doubt: is the old author-life plan even feasible? And even worse...do I even care enough to care about striking things off the to-do list?

But as June ends and the first Wednesday of the month calls, I feel that obligation to write my post. The community connection starts to pull at my writer spirit and by the time I am editing and tweaking this final line, I think: time to shake it off and get the booty back in the chair.

That's the beauty of the IWSG.



                                                                              *****

July 1 question - There have been many industry changes in the last decade, so what are some changes you would like to see happen in the next decade?

 I suppose it would be awesome if books became more popular than YouTube. 


Congratulations to Annalisa Crawford! Her new book comes out next week and it's a wonderful, angst-filled tale that will haunt you long after you read the final page. 



Living on the streets is terrifying and exhausting. Grace’s only comforts are a steady stream of vodka, and a strange little boy who’s following her around.

At nineteen, Grace has already had a child and endured an abusive marriage. But she’s also had her baby abducted by her vengeful husband and been framed as a neglectful mother. Even her own parents doubted her version of the story. So she did the only thing that made sense to her—run away.

The streets are unforgiving. Winter is drawing in. And Grace isn’t prepared for the harsh realities of survival. At her very bleakest, a Good Samaritan swoops into her life and rescues her. With a roof over her head and food in her stomach, she longs to see her baby again.

But nothing ever comes for free.
l
The annual anthology contest is open!

Theme: Dark Matter

Submissions accepted: May 6 - September 2, 2020
Guidelines and rules:

Word count: 4500-6000

Genre: Science Fiction
How to enter: Send your polished, formatted (double-spaced, no footers or headers), previously unpublished story to admin @ insecurewriterssupportgroup.com before the deadline passes. Please include your full contact details, your social links, and if you are part of the Blogging, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter IWSG group.

Judging: The IWSG admins will create a shortlist of the best stories. The shortlist will then be sent to our official judges.

38 comments:

  1. Really sorry you lost your buddy. Pets are family.
    Hopefully today's postings lift your writing spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling much better. I think he was part of that proverbial straw load.

      Delete
  2. So sorry for your loss. He was such a cutie x
    Thanks for sharing my book release too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to help! And I can't wait to reread this story.

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry you lost your writing companion. Our house was so empty when we lost Rocko.

    I've been a bit on the slug side, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's about making the new habits, I suppose. As for the sluggishness, I guess we just push through.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your furry muse. The loss of a pet IS a big deal, so let yourself feel what you need to without judgement.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think by trying to not admit it wasn't a loss, I was making it worse...if that makes sense. I said to myself, he's just a dog, people are losing people...keep a right perspective. That was probably not smart.

      Delete
  5. So sorry about the loss of your dog. It's going to break my heart when I lose mine because she's been such a great friend since my husband died. Give yourself the time to relax and do other things while you grieve and as we go through these crazy times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my problem too. This dog had been right there with me through the deaths of my brother, my grandmother, mother and father. So, I feel for you.

      Delete
  6. Sorry about the pup. Never easy and always a hole when they go.

    I've been a bit of a lazy arse too on the writing side, but oh well, still doing many a thing. Just not that at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat.

      Maybe it's just summer. We seem to all be suffering from laziness.

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry to hear about your furry writing buddy. Sending virtual hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Fur babies are hard to lose. As my dog currently walks around my chair (I need to get his mat from another room and put it next to me), I understand how important furry writing companions are.
    Writing is worthwhile. Your writing is worthwhile.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tyrean. <3

      You most certainly get that pooch a mat. They're our most loyal partners.

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry about your dog. Losing a pet is never easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not. A friend told me she was done getting pets because it hurts to lose them. I suppose I understand, but considering how much joy they bring, the bit of grief that comes with their loss is worth it.

      Delete
  10. Love is love and when we lose it, it's hard...no matter where it came from. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They do have a way of working themselves into every good memory.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very sorry for the loss of your fur baby. We lost our Candy last year and the house is just so empty without her. Hubs wants another dog, but I'm just . . . not ready. I guess I'm not through the season of grief yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want this dog when we got him. I had another Beagle mix before we got Grizzly and she'd died. We still had another dog and she was plenty, so I was adamant about no more dogs. My husband decided the younger boys deserved the "puppy" experience, so we got Grizzly. My brother had just died and it was like that silly dog knew. Even as a pup, he'd follow me wherever I went. I couldn't even shower without him napping on the bathroom rug. I always told my husband, if the dog was human, he'd been a stalker.

      I always recommend getting another. There are so many dogs that need good homes...there is one hoping for a happy home...

      Delete
  13. I've lost three cats in the not-to-distant past and it is so hard. I'm sorry for the loss of your furry pal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awful. I'm sorry to hear that. My cat is now the oldest beast in the family. I told her she is now the Elder Cat.

      Delete
  14. I'm so sorry for your loss, Elizabeth <3. It's absolutely heartbreaking because they are a part of the family – especially your little writing buddy who spent so much time with you. I hope you're ok.
    Big hugs
    Suzy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing fine. I think sharing was the best medicine. <3

      Delete
  15. Reading the beginning of your post brought back memories. Although they are painful, they are also sweet and connected to joy as well. I love what you said about feeling obligated to participate in this community. As I read through the blogs each month I notice that many participants are connected and seem to know each other, at least professionally. I look forward to being connected as well (which is something I struggle with). Thanks for sharing this month. Also, Sasquatch made my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been slacking in my blog visits but your comment reminds me I need to make more time for visits. It is a great community. I've made some great friends and connections through the IWSG.

      Sasquatch gave me a giggle too. And smiles are good for our health!

      Delete
  16. Our critters are part of our family, losing one is a huge deal. Sending you a huge hug to match.
    Love the Sasquatch.
    Annalisa, your book sounds spellbinding.
    Happy 4th everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry, Elizabeth. I don't think that kind of loss is less painful because it's a dog. Franklin and Penelope are the most important members of my family.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make themselves such an important part of our lives, don't they?

      Delete
  18. Oh, no! I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a pet is always so heartbreaking. Your dog was clearly well-loved... *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a beloved little guy. He had so much personality we will be telling Grizzly stories for a lifetime.

      Delete
  19. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. :( I would love if books became more popular than YouTube!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my dog last year. She'd been a faithful companion since 7 weeks old, watched over the kids since their birth, and protected us from all the squirrels invading my territory. I look back at our 15 years together with fondness, though it still pains me to miss her.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...