Getting Done: An IWSG Post

6:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 60 Comments


Now that my kids are grown and out of the house most days, I get asked if I ever get bored or lonely. I suppose I should say yes- out of sentimentality. But the real answer is not really. 
Sure, I miss the noise of boys, but I'm happy to see them set out on their own adventures. I believe in roots and wings. 
I also have the upside of being a writer. Writers are never alone because characters and stories are as insistent for attention as the neediest toddlers. 
And about the boredom...honestly, I don't know that I have ever been bored in my adult life. I constantly have the nagging feeling that there is never enough time to finish all that I want to do. That's also one of my biggest insecurities. My inability to get my crap together well enough to get everything done I need, or want, to finish in this life. 

October's Optional IWSG Question! It's been said that the benefits of becoming a writer who does not read is that all your ideas are new and original. Everything you do is an extension of yourself, instead of a mixture of you and another author. On the other hand, how can you expect other people to want your writing, if you don't enjoy reading? What are your thoughts?

I know writers who don't read, but I don't trust them. It just doesn't make sense to me to love words but hate to read them. 

Image result for reading memes
Now that's an attitude you can trust. 

                                                                         ******
This is the monthly post for the Insecure Writer's Support Group. If you're a writer in need of support or a safe, non-judgmental place to vent about words and/or the writing life, the IWSG is the group for you. The IWSG is brought to you by all 26 letters and the ninja master,  Alex Cavanaugh and this month's awesome co-hosts; Ronel Janse van Vuuren, Mary Aalgaard, Madeline Mora-Summonte, and Ellen @ The Cynical Sailor!
Sign up for the IWSG!

What's new with the IWSG?

The first IWSG posting of 2020 will be on Jan. 8th – NOT on Jan. 1st since it is New Year’s Day. So, mark your calendars now.



The IWSG Twitter Pitch is coming up soon. Polish those pitches and have them ready to go. You just never know who may be watching.



The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
There are loads of exciting activities happening at the
IWSG Goodreads Book ClubQuizzes, Giveaways, Freebies, and book chats!This month's book:

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is the October/November fiction book, voted on by our members. Discussion Fun Day will be November 20th.

Next WEP-IWSG Challenge

October's WEP Flash Fiction contest is a Horrible Harvest. Start thinking of those winning thousand words now! Post date is October 16th. 



Coming November 1, 2019 
Inspiring coastal romances featuring characters you won’t forget!
(There is so much for me to love about this story...romance, beaches, sunsets, and fuzzy kittens!) 



Kerry Evelyn is a mentor, writing instructor, and author of the Crane's Cove romance series and several published stories that span multiple genres. You can find her on the web:

Facebook Author Page www.Facebook.com/Kerryevelynauthor
Instagram @KerryEvelynAuthor
Twitter @theKerryEvelyn

60 comments:

  1. It's been a long time since I was bored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the last time was when I was a young teen...

      Delete
  2. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, such a wonderful choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a bit red-faced. I'd never heard of it. I'll have to pick it up.

      Delete
  3. Who has time to get bored? There's always a million and one things to do around here. And then I get to squeeze in some writing. And my kids and grand-babies are around 24/7. LOL>
    Loved the Movie: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must come out from under my rock. I'd never heard of this book, much less knew it was a movie. Too much focus on super hero movies in this house.

      I don't have any grandbabies, unless you count the furry variety.

      Delete
  4. Love this so much: "Writers are never alone because characters and stories are as insistent for attention as the neediest toddlers." I retired, so now I work 12 hour days. lol

    I LOVE the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It's one of my favorite books. I really enjoyed the film, but the books was still better. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think it's that I get bored as an adult, but that I sometimes become paralyzed by everything I want to do so I end up not doing anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now that's a whole different matter entirely. I get brain lock all the time!

      Delete
  6. I’m not bored either. My writing and reading are a great comfort and keep me busy when I’m home alone. I do still miss my daughter living with me but am glad she’s doing well as an adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's impossible not to miss them. Most people consider their high school years their glory days. My glory days are the times spent with my kids.

      Delete
  7. Hi,
    I so understand your position on not being bored. I went through a major crisis in my life in February of this year when my husband died. We didn't have any children and everybody was very concerned about how I was going to deal with being alone, but I wasn't concerned. I have my been reading and writing for years. I have my characters who now demand my attention. I had already started learning how to knit and committed myself to a small knitting group before he died, and I have my music. Sometimes I wonder where does the time go because before I know it, it is bedtime.
    I enjoyed reading your article and especially the first part.

    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat G @ EverythingMustChange

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, I am so sorry about your husband, but I am glad you have writing and are exploring hobbies. I believe we honor those who go on before on by doing as much good and being as productive as we can on earth, so that when we meet up with them in Heaven, we can tell them what all we did. Hugs. You keep writing!

      Delete
  8. I can't imagine being bored either. I loved "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" - great choice for the book club. I might need to reread that one. Pippi is adorable :)

    Cheers - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is bored, anyway? I always have a list of things I need to do

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told boredom is this feeling of having nothing to do. I think it happens to people without imaginations. LOL

      Delete
  10. I really can't imagine feeling bored. Between projects, not sure which direction to take, trying to organize ... those are the least exciting moments. Even when I'm in a waiting room or a long line, I have plenty to think about.
    Roots and wings are good. I ache for my daughters sometimes, but they are living life well and I'm thankful for that. As long as they visit sometimes and call me, it's good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it perfectly. Time to think...I do enjoy those rare, quiet moments.

      Delete
  11. "I know writers who don't read, but I don't trust them. It just doesn't make sense to me to love words but hate to read them." Love that! Happy IWSG day :-)

    Ronel visiting and on co-hosting IWSG day Co-hosting, Flagship Content and Interesting Developments

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great point that writers are never really alone. I love spending time with my characters - even the evil ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to write a horror once. The evil characters kept me up at night. I don;t make them so evil anymore.

      Delete
  13. I'd love to be bored, and I'm pretty sure it's never going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a to do list a mile long. One day, I might get to the bottom of it and then I'll get started on my to-read list.

      Delete
  14. I've never been bored. And that dog reading? I've told hubs more than once to use his T.V. ears and mute the sound so I can read in peace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was blessed to be the youngest of five. I can block out any amount of noise in real life.

      Delete
  15. I'm keeping myself busier then usual and there is not time to be bored!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Make time for relaxing, but no time to be bored.

      Delete
  16. I don't think I'm ever bored (except maybe at work, lol). I wish there were more hours in the day to do all the things I want/need to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bored time at work is a good time to day dream- just be sure to get your job done.

      Delete
  17. I think people who ask about the boredom (or loneliness) have problems with boredom themselves and are projecting. Maybe they are looking for help for when it strikes them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point. Next time I'm asked, I'll offer some ideas for entertaining themselves. Being bored can border on depression. Avoid it at all costs.

      Delete
  18. Yeah, can't say I've been bored in a long arse time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember as a kid saying I was bored a lot. Nowadays, I wonder why I have to sleep! There's so much to be done and not enough time. I want that bored time back from when I was a child so I can use it now. :) I wouldn't trust writers who didn't read either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have said it as a kid. My mother would counter with- well, if you're bored, I have a job for you. Looking back, she may be responsible for my boredom-averse personality. LOL

      Delete
  20. Bored? What's that? Thanks for giving WEP a shout out. Re reading: "I know writers who don't read, but I don't trust them. It just doesn't make sense to me to love words but hate to read them." You said it all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had not thought of it as not trusting but make a good point. Happy IWSG~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Writers need to read to fill the creative wells. And reading also keeps people abreast of what is popular.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Life's too short to waste time being bored. Boredom should be reserved for foolish children, who think they're gonna live forever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOVE the Asimov quote and believing in roots and wings:)
    Congrats to Kerry.
    Great post as always.
    Enjoy your weekend;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. "Writers are never alone..." I love that!

    Another thing that I love about being a writer, is that when the power/TV goes out, I can write (or read), while my siblings don't do either one, so they're bored out of their minds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only bother with a power outage is when you need the AC.

      Delete
  26. I rarely get bored. Seriously, I don't get it when people say that.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be the lack of imagination. I feel bad for them.

      Delete
  27. Reading helps give us creative ideas. And without reading I suppose we are like still water in a pond. And of course reading keeps the boredom away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And still waters go stagnant. Never be still, go read.

      Delete
  28. My aunt always told me that bored people were boring. I try to avoid being both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought it was because I was easily entertained. I like your aunt's theory much better.

      Delete
  29. I've talked to folks that are bored after they retire. With me it's, really? Now work doesn't get in the way of writing;) I miss the kids, but enjoy the quiet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss them too, but unless I want to make them Norman-Bates-like, I have to let them grow up and leave the nest. So, there is no other option than to adjust to the quiet.

      Delete
  30. When I'm bored, it means I'm antsy and/or depressed.
    Otherwise, I'm like you - I have too many projects going at once to get bored.
    Be well, girlie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...