Damn It, Game of Thrones.

6:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 14 Comments

Beware, this post is all spoiler and bitching. If you're not caught up, go away right now. 

To call Sunday's GOT episode jolting is an understatement. I've been mad since I watched it. Sure, I'm used to GOT killing off beloved characters. It's kinda the show's calling card. That and incest. 

For example, I knew the tiny Lady Lyanna Mormont was toast the minute she showed herself to be noble, dependable, and fierce. She was waaayyy too likable.  

GOT to go. 


What I wasn't ready for was the show to take a beloved character and turn her into a cold-blooded nasty little bi-otch. 

I was so mad. I  did that annoying writer thing for days where I incessantly ranted about crap like the lack of a character arc...where was the foreshadowing? The motivation?  You need all of that to take an epic hero and turn her into the biggest villain yet! By the end of the show, Daenarys made Cercei look like a humanitarian. 

Who saw that coming? 

After some reflection, I recalled the horse-heart meal. That was pretty vicious. But she did it for a good cause. It was supposed to make her baby stronger and got her the admiration of her studly husband. 


Seems the girl will do anything for love. Even burn herself alive when her man dies. 


And she was overly obsessed with that whole "bend the knee" BS. For a chick who went on and on about equality, she was all about lowering people. Probably came from insecurity. She was diddling her nephew, and unlike Cercei, she couldn't get her incestuous lover to overlook that minor detail.

She also has that savior mentality that can never be trusted. Almost any time in history that a leader rises with the promise of ending all the world's woes by singe-handedly dolling out fairness...it's almost always a bad sign. 
                                                                        *****

Hold on, it's time for the flip-flop. Just like this season of GOT, I will go on and on about trivial things and then make whiplash direction changes. 

After some, not a lot, of consideration, I am now mad at the show for being utterly predictable. Why is it that every strong female character has to be made crazed by lost love? Lose one guy, walk in fire. Lose another, burn down a city. 

Oh, and if your family is crazy, you're probably crazy too. 

Paaaleease, could we have some originality in a plot? 

Maybe next week, we'll find out her son is alive and maternal kindness will flip her back. Or maybe the whole infertility via witch report will be inaccurate and she and Jon will be expecting their son/nephew/cousin or daughter/niece/cousin and she will lighten up and regret the massacre. 

No matter what, they ruined a great character. I'd never thought I'd say it, but even Bran is more likable now. 

 




14 comments:

  1. We're betting Arya kills her.
    Because yeah, killing everyone was uncalled for and proved she's really not a good leader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm putting my money on Jon. Only he can get passed the dragon. Although there is the theory that Tyrion is also a Targeryen…

      Either way, she will need to watch her back around Arya.

      Delete
  2. She sacrificed the throne with that crazy stunt all right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating a horse heart - what a mother won't do for her young. Sheesh.
    I don't watch any shows, and this was a fun post. Thank you for the entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All this hype and I've yet to get past season 1.... LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I refused to watch for the longest time. I could never get past season one, and then I did and it hooked me. I om on season 6.

    There have been some powerful moments and scene that were epic story telling. The scene where Jon is killed by the Crows. He did the right thing for them and all for protection and duty, but they kill him anyway. He comes back. Get's a second chance, and chooses a different path away from The Crows yet for the same cause protection the whole against the monsters.

    It is a subtle powerful moment but if you think about the symbolism and theme of dying and being reborn, a very powerful story tool welded in a unique way.

    The scene with Hodor where we learn what made the way he is and his destiny covered in the revelation, all culminates in the hero's journey for the crippled Stark. That was powerful. Epic. Hodor, Hodor... Hold the door. I am still thinking about it. Wow!

    I admit the Dragon Queen has been interesting and likable but I have been waiting for the hammer to drop but they keep turning the scenes so far to the positive. Sad to hear it changes but I actually had already heard that before the airing it has been implied for season eight.

    I like the Imp and the Eunuch too, and so far, their story continues in season 6. The Imp has a great voice too. His voice really makes that character.

    Now for all that there are moments I hated it, yet the story telling use of those horrible moments I get. I don't know that I could be that twisted with my characters. Maybe I will never be an epic story teller.

    I use to roll my eyes at the praises of George R. Martin as being over exaggerated but I have learned a lot watching this about the power of story telling. Dang him if he ends it and snatches all hope and satisfaction from the tale. Yes I will be pissed and will not read anything by him HOWEVER, if he ends it and I can feel satisfied, good about it. I may read something else of his and that is all I got to say as a reader. I will never love his works the way I do others, but he might depending sit up in my top twenty or not.

    This will not be because he is not a great story teller it will be because he betrayed the reader trust and the reader hope I had in watching, and maybe reading this tale later or something else of his. I won't trust him so I won't begin. Crossing fingers for reader satisfaction and not horror and disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, yeah I have not really read him but watching this so far makes me think I might read it. Depending as stated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, they made her quite the psychotic nutball. The signs were there especially this season as she became jealous and insecure and such. Either be Arya or Jon that ends her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hubby wasn't too happy with how they did it either. I haven't been watching, but I basically know what's going on. To me, it sounds like they rushed her going mad queen in that episode.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol:) The show just wasn't the same for me when they diverged from the books - that's the real sequel and ending I'm waiting for :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...