Tees and Quiet

6:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 27 Comments

I spent Wednesday helping sort fund raiser tee shirts for football. Eleven boxes in all. 
That's a lot of Eagle apparel. 
Since it's my son's senior year, this will be the LAST time I do this. Not to say it's not been fun, but can I get a woop woop?
 My first son started playing football in the 4th grade and that was around 2004-- four boys, three leagues-- I'm not going to do the math, I'll just say it has been a lot of volunteer time.
 People ask me what I'll do next year. I'm thinking Bermuda in the fall, as long as there are no hurricanes.

Speaking of which, it's been a horrible season for natural disasters. Harvey, Irma...the earthquake in Mexico. Before those, there was horrible flooding and mudslides in Freetown, Africa and also in India, Bangladesh, and Nepal.  It doesn't seem like those two tragedies got as much press coverage here in the states, but I saw the images on the internet and it's heart breaking. 
 
I'm blessed to live in a relatively stable area. I complain sometimes that it's boring, but honestly, it's awesome to live in quiet places.
Besides, West Virginia is a gorgeous place in the fall. The leaves are slowly beginning to change. It's a beautiful time of year here. 
Photo from Go to  WV website: 6 best fall hiking trails in WV
Speaking of the changing leaves...
When I first saw this episode of Family Guy, I didn't quite "get" why people would drive to see trees. Then I visited New York. In a place covered in concrete, a tree is a pretty big deal. Around here, if you fail to mow your lawn often enough, you'll have Maples growing wild in your yard, little tiny ones, of course-- I never wait that long to mow. 

If you haven't seen it, here it is, so you can start your weekend with a smile.






That's my small things check-in. Thanks to our hosts LexaL  .G, and Tonja Drecker for this weekly reminder to look for the good things in life! What good things are new with you? 

27 comments:

  1. dads a lot a futball

    I mow a lot of baby oaks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put some of them in pots and keep them like hillbilly bonsai trees.

      Delete
  2. I remember my daughter's last year in high school. I was swim captain parent in the fall. I've enjoyed not having all those volunteer jobs. Hope you do too. Sounds like you have more fun ideas than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I will miss my kids at home, but I am ready to divert that energy to other projects.

      Delete
  3. Even people here in the Carolinas travel to the mountains just to see the trees change.
    Last year - then you're done! Put a fork in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll maintain my blog better with all the free time!!

      Delete
  4. As much as I like living where I do, I miss the Fall. We get some changing leaves, some crisp in the air but not that much and not yet. Soon, though. Soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall here is gorgeous. Nothing like an old country road lined with color. The sun will shine through and it will make the air glow. Simply beautiful.

      Delete
  5. I would definitely travel to the US to see your trees in the fall. If it's a dry season here, we have great colours, but a lot of the time it's grey and wet, which means the leaves fall in sludgy clumps and make the pavements treacherous. Not so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some years, I think when there is a hard frost early, they will die fast, turn gray and just drop. It's looking like this year will be a good year.

      Delete
  6. I had never thought of that before Liz. We get lost of lovely colours here but not as many as north of us but yes, a concrete jungle would certainly make you want to travel. I think you deserve a trip to Bermuda after all that volunteering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I do too. When Chad and I got married, we didn't have time or money for a honeymoon, so we floated it. Time to cash it in!

      Delete
  7. There's only one place I've lived that didn't have beautiful fall colors: Savannah, GA. It was so warm there, that the trees behind my apartment didn't have much color until New Year's Day. I'm glad to be in upstate NY now. The fall colors are amazing. But the best ever? Asheville, NC. The mountains make it look like you're living in a bowl of Fruity Pebbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfectly said! And we do live among hills. It's the one time that a lifetime worth of carrying groceries up steps to the house makes it all worth it.

      Delete
  8. woop woop! We don't get much of any fall colors. The leaves change in December of January and then they fall right off the trees. I miss autumn in Maryland.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But on the bright side, you're not shoveling snow in January like we are.

      Delete
  9. Can go get lost in the Bermuda triangle after this year. Story there...if you come back out. Yeah, after visiting NY I can see why people visit here to see trees and lakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I think I'll pick another beachy retreat without the mystery.

      Delete
  10. I feel blessed as far as the weather is concerned. I live in Buffalo, NY and I'll take the snow any day...Mother Nature is unleashing her fury all over the world and its so sad.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We don't have seasons here in the tropics. Envy you the colours of fall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. With all the disasters unfolding around us, we need to be thankful to live somewhere that hasn't been affected. Enjoy those changing colours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay to getting through all of that football! Those kind of things always feel so strange at first.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Woop, woop, woop! YAY for you! Someday, you'll be like me. You'll look back on all the volunteer years and the endless go-go-go stuff involved in raising active kids, and you'll be astounded that you ever had that much energy. But you will never regret the time and energy you spent on your kiddos. Still... it's also awesome to see all of that stuff in the rear-view mirror... and to spend time doing things you want to do, and without feeling guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here, we don't drive to see leaves change. We just drive to the mountains during hiking season. And let me tell you, there's nothing more relaxing than walking amongst the beauty and the serenity of nature... with 300 other jackasses that are elbowing you out of the way and trying to snap selfies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE trees lol... I vet West Virginia is absolutely beautiful at this time of year. Maybe one of these days... we'll get to visit!
    Suzy xx
    www.suzyturner.com
    www.yogadocious.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I live in a place where we have lots of greenery and trees and theres always shade as it is a tropical country.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...