Keeping Busy and Superbowl Picks

12:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 45 Comments

I'm shooting for one post this week.

Thanks to winter, the boys have been off school for thirteen days in a row.

That's a good thing, I swear. BUT. Anytime the house is full, it's tough to get work done.

And I promise. I have been working!

I have been making plans to head to Atlanta in March for The Novel Experience. I'm super excited. Not only is it a writer convention, it's a READER convention! Imagine it...hundreds of people gathering because they love to READ. It's like hitting writer gold!

And I must say...it's affordable, and so far, I am impressed by the organizers. So much so that I am checking out some other conventions they are planning in the future.


Is this a tease or what?
I've also been busy with Mark Koopmans and Tammy Theriault on a top secret, soon to be revealed venture.

Let's just say...in the planning there was talk of speedos and Hula dancers on Hulu.

 I know, I know...you're confused, but with a trio like Mark, Tammy, and moi? What else did you expect? You'll just have to wait for the announcement next week. When the glow of enlightenment strikes off Mark's bald head, all will be revealed.

Also, I am busy writing. Got a few plots in my head struggling to get themselves on paper (err, well, flash drive). I hate it when stories fight for attention. It's like sibling book rivalry going on in my head!

Book stuff out of the way...

I thought, since I know my way to the football field, that I should share my expert advice on how to pick a Superbowl Champion.


First and foremost, always bet on the Steelers.

Unfortunately, some years, routing for Blitzburgh isn't an option....

So, what's a Steel City fan, with zero second favorite team because you bleed black and gold to do?

Well, this fan(atic) has a back up system.

Here's how you pick a team to route for when you don't really give a fig about either one:

Denver Broncos
Seattle Seahawks



            VS. 




Denver Broncos cut Tim Tebow. I love Tebow! Pus ten Seattle Seahawks.

* But the Denver Broncos signed Peyton Manning. I like Peyton Manning. But not as much as Tebow. Plus one point for Denver Broncos. 

*A Bronco is tougher than a seahawk. I mean check out the picture...that horse means business! Plus five for Denver Broncos.

* I look horrible in orange. Plus one Seattle Seahawks.

* Prettiest uniform: Plus five Seattle Seahawks

* Superbowl story: Every year, one team has the better plot. Like when the Steelers were going for "One for the Thumb", that was historically significant...a Superbowl record! Peyton Manning is playing after recovering from a neck injury that could have crippled him. Now, that would make for the better movie. Russell Wilson, Seattle's QB, is a classy guy and he wins in the "being better looking" than Manning category, but Peyton is, dare I say it? Getting a little old and he may not have too many more chances for the Super comeback story. Plus five for Denver Broncos.

*The negatives: Richard Sherman's rant.  If you haven't seen it, check it out. It hardly makes him a thug, but it doesn't endear me to him either. It screams sore winner, and I don't like a sore winner. I gave him a pass on the on field rant, but he continued it at the press conference. He's a talented, talented player who has some growing up to do.  Plus ten points Denver Broncos

Now for the after-math...the points are tallied and this Sunday I will be munching on my wings, enjoying the commercials, and routing for the Denver Broncos!

(Maybe I'll see you on Facebook and we can dish about commercials and the half-time show!)


photo credit: wstera2 via photopin cc

45 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! Have fun with The Novel Experience and I can't wait to see this secret venture you little crazy set of trio has in store for us. Yeah I'm DOA on anything sports so...

    Well what a coinkidink, you plan for one post this week and I plan for two. Hope you have something fun planned among all your work and enjoy your week Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a house full of men, I know more than I care to about sports!

      You always are one of the best bloggers. You and Alex. You are my role models :)

      You have a great week too!

      Delete
  2. I had big plans to go to that convention, but unfortunately, I can't pull the funds together to make it happen. However, if I do come over for a convention sometime, it will be one that is is Atlanta - because it's high on my list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah man! I would have been so excited! Whenever you do make it to the states, give me plenty of heads up to plan so I can come meet you!

      Delete
  3. Did you have to go there with the Speedos :)

    I'm having a hard enough time trying to figure out where I can take a photo op of me in the grass skirt (and yes, Alex, Coconut Bra) and *not* get arrested for a case of indecent exposure (although the judge would probably take one look at the picture and drop the case for lack of evidence !!)

    Looking forward to next Wednesday and OMgosh woman, just pick a team already!!

    PS... Pitchers and Catchers report to Spring Training in Sixteen days... can't wait... Go ANGELS :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going full Bronco. Peyton gentlemanly nature tipped the scales.

      The only way I will don a grass skirt and coconut bra is if there is a six digit payout. I need the extra cash resulting therapy for my children.

      Delete
  4. Yes, always bet on the Steelers. Unless of course, they aren't playing.
    I like Manning so may root for Denver. Ultimately, I don't care. I just get to relax and enjoy the Super Bowl this year.
    I think my wife picks the way you do. The year the Saints won, she picked them because Drew Brees was cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex Cavanaugh, I didn't think I could respect and love you any more than I do, but a fellow Steeler fan?! I'd take a bullet for you buddy.

      Oh yeah, I was total Saints fan. Drew not only was cute, but he thanked God for the win while holding his baby boy! Total swoon.

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to find out what Charlie's Scribes is all about. The picture totally cracks me up!

    I'm rooting for the Broncos because I've always liked Manning and his comeback has simply been unreal, but I don't care one way or the other. At this point I'm just looking forward to baseball season!

    The Novel Experience sounds fantastic, hope you have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See story matters...even in football!

      Never watched much baseball. None of my boys are addicted to it and usually I only watch sports if someone else is watching.

      Wish you were heading to Atlanta Julie! Tara Tyler is :)

      Delete
  6. Don't really car about who wins either at my sea and wow that is a lot of snow days

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a tease!

    You know, getting the kids and yourself to be productive is definitely a challenge, but it can be done with organization, rewards, and occasional moments of madness. (Or constant moments of madness.) =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels more like constant madness, but hey, this time with kids is short.

      Delete
  8. Charlie's scribes!? I love it, and can't wait for the full throttle effect of your awesomeness. :) I am going to be running a half marathon on Superbowl Sunday so I'll probably be asleep for most of and wake up just in time to see the half-time show! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running a marathon is a way healthier way to spend your day! I doubt I could finish a quarter marathon!

      Delete
  9. The novel experience sounds so cool! Atlanta is super close to me, so make sure you wave when you drive by :)

    Can't wait to see what you three come up with! I'm sure it will be something brilliant.

    As far as the Superbowl goes, I have to pull for the Seahawks. I've known Golden Tate for years and even went to school with him. C'est la vie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know the guy?! You'd be a bad friend NOT to route for him! If you get bored that weekend, come down and say hi. I guess most of the writers are bringing swag!

      Delete
  10. I'm with you on the amount of days kids HAVEN'T been in school. My blogging has sort of taken a back seat too, so that I can get writing stuff done. Love the Charlie's Scribe's idea, btw! Looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing how much there is to do. When I dreamed of being a writer, I always imagined the nitty gritty getting done by magic. Oh well. You do what you've gotta do!

      Delete
  11. It's hard to get things done when the kids are underfoot! Enjoy the Superbowl festivities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is, though mine are getting older, but still just having people in the house to talk to pulls you out of the zone.

      Delete
  12. That's a lot of snow days in a row. That conference sounds awesomely fun. Well, as a recovering Bills fan, I've been on the hunt for another team. However, football starts here at 9 a.m. and I just can't get used to it. With that said, I've considered adopting both Seattle and Denver [Oregon has no pro team]. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 9:00 a.m.? That's way too early for me. We usually start about 4 p.m.
      If all else fails and you have no team, flip a coin. WV doesn't have their own team either, so that just makes us Steeler country!

      Delete
  13. I love the idea of a writer/reader conference. That would be worth attending, indeed. Great that you have some plots filtering through that lovely head of yours. That's always so wonderful. My 49er's bit the astro turf, but I'll be watching next Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee :)

      Those 49's of yours are desperately close to challenging the Steelers for the Superbowl record. I can't route for them until the Steelers get another ring!

      Delete
  14. That conference sounds fantastic! And a secret. Ooooh! I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, a secret! (don't tell, but Mark is pregnant...it's a medical marvel!)

      Delete
  15. HI Elizabeth,

    A reader convention. I should send Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet superstar! Rumour has it that Tebow is joining the CFL.

    They shall be showing the Superbowl live in Britain. Having lived in Vancouver, I have to root for the Seahawks.

    I seen you guys and your secret mission or whatever it is. Elizabeth, the giggly Tammy and Mark looking for a grass skirt. Tell him not to smoke it.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Gary! ROFL. I will most certainly get that message to Mark! And if you send Penny, I'll pick her up at the airport.

      I didn't know he might go to the CFL. I am so mad that no American teams will sign him. Grr. Personally, I'd love to see him play for the Steelers (I'm not a fan of Roethlisberger)

      I'll still love ya, even if you picked the losing team to route for . hehe

      Delete
  16. I pick the team with the prettiest colors!!! I just don't really get football, so I don't pay much attention. Even if I did like it, the fact that they go to commercial every 2 minutes would drive me up a flippin' wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one good thing about not really caring who wins is that you don't really care who loses either :)

      Delete
  17. Happy football weekend. I'm sorry, I don't know enough to make any other comment at all!

    Our plans for today is football game, rugby game 1, rugby game 2, which will take us to bed time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a full day! Throw in some wings and you have a party!

      Delete
  18. Speedos? I'm anxious to find out what's cooking. Now I'm off to cook something to appease the Super Bowl crowd. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bring all the left overs to my house Lee! Thank you :)

      Delete
  19. Oh I cant wait to see what you three are cooking up!! And love that pic. I'll have to add it to my blog. :)
    I'm still trying to figure out if I can do the Novel Experience. It sounds so great!
    Go Seahawks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt you are one happy lady today. Your Seahawks played a marvelous game!

      Delete
  20. Yay about the convention, the top secret venture, and writing ideas. I don't watch football, but have fun with the Superbowl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use to watch it. It used to be my favorite day to hit the empty mall, but now with four boys, well, I just go with the flow.

      Delete
  21. Good luck with the secret venture. It sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm hoping it's interesting. I know it will be fun!

      Delete
  22. I loved hearing how you determined which team got your vote for the Super Bowl. :) Too funny. Your secret venture sounds interesting.
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I guess this year I had the wrong formula. What a slaughter. I feel so bad for the Broncos. That had to hurt.

      Delete
  23. Aha, see? It pays to stop by a week late because now I don't have to wait in suspense about Charlie's Scribes. A totally fun idea!

    Ah football. Even as a pom pom girl I was never able to pay attention to it. It's my one big flaw as an American, I think.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...