A Car, a Boat, and a Helicopter

8:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 14 Comments

Years (and years) ago, I worked as a waitress while I was in college. I was a terrible waitress. My short term memory is awful and I'm a bit clumsy and awkward in real life.

The only part of waitressing that I did well was absorb the stories people shared with me like a sponge. I'd forget your straw, but I still remember so many of the tales. One fella, a retired minister, shared a modern-day parable with me that has stuck with me for a lifetime.

The story goes like this...

A once-in-a-lifetime storm was predicted to hit a sleepy little valley town. Being in a valley, there was going to be record flooding. Everyone was warned to evacuate. And most everyone did; all but one. There was one fella who was faith-filled. His trust in God was unshakable. He KNEW God would deliver him from this storm.

He sat on his front porch and watched his neighbors pack up and head out of town. The last neighbor to leave stepped up on the man's porch and offered him man a ride out of town.

The man was committed. He didn't need a ride. He had faith. God would save him.  

The rain started to fall and the flood water rose up past the porch. Soon, the man had to head to the second floor of his house to escape the rising water. 
He stood, looking out his window, praying for deliverance when a man in a boat rowed up to his window and said, "Buddy, you're gonna drown. Hop in my boat."
"No," the man said. "I have faith. God will save me."


The water kept rising. As the sun began to set, the old man climbed from the second floor to his roof. Soon, a helicopter passed overhead, pausing to drop a rescue ladder. The old man yelled for them to move along...he would wait on God.

                                           

By morning, the old man was washed away and drowned in the flood water. When he reached Heaven, he was spitting mad. He shook a fist at God and said, "I had faith. An unwavering trust in you and You let me down!" 

God said, "Hey, I sent you a car, a boat, and a helicopter. What more did you want?"

How about you? Have you overlooked any blessings lately? Heard any stories that stuck with you for a lifetime? 

Images by GĂĽnther SchneiderHolger Feulner; and Thomas Wolter from Pixabay

14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story. Thank you:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't compete with the intriguing posts you come up with, but I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. I understand why this stuck with you. Powerful message. We await miracles answers while it's all happening in front of our very eyes. Hugs, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I meant to delete "answers" but you understand that I understand. It's all understood. =) At least a small bit of all of it.

      Delete
    2. I totally understood. That happens to me all of the time. I'll comment and catch the error after I hit publish. It's so much work to delete and start over, I usually just leave the error and move on.

      Delete
  3. That is a good one! God works the supernatural through the natural.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice parable. Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we probably overlook blessings on a regular basis, don't you?
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story! I remember a lot of good stories that people have told me over the years.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know, I feel like I've gotten some signs from the universe lately, and I've been pondering what they mean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awwwwsome story. Wanna RITE for
    eternity in the Great Beyond? A few
    oemnillions of books, oemnillions
    of years, oemnillions of desires in
    the Café BEANign (sHe has 'em all
    o'er the universe just 4 U.S.)? I know, dear; I'm a Near Death Experiencer.
    While I didn't actually see the Café,
    I know sHe's gottm cuz sHe loooves
    humanity and wants2see our desires
    fulfilled. So follow me Upstairs again
    to the Wedding Feast ASAP, gorgeous:
    ● NOPEcantELOPE.blogspot.com ●
    Cya soon, miss adorable girl...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very true. I am dug in on the shingles vaccine, though. I keep seeing stuff everywhere about it, but I don't want to take it. I'm trying to figure out if it's God nudging me or Big Brother & Big Pharma stalking me. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...