Welcome to My Happy Place

6:30 AM Elizabeth Seckman 21 Comments


This is my suitcase topped by my bag of dirty clothes. I snapped the pic as I waited for the elevator to take me home. I've spent several weeks living out of that suitcase this summer training on all things prevention and coalition building. There were times when I thought about chucking it...I mean all of these classes on top of an already busy schedule? What in the Sam Hill was I thinking? 

Or more accurately, what were we thinking? I'm not in this alone. I have a coalition partner who is as insane as I am. But we have this shared idea that we can do this...


This is the mental health spectrum. My partner and I spent our early careers working in treatment and recovery. Both of us suffered burn out, dropped out of the workforce, and concentrated on our own kids often volunteering alongside each other in school and sports. Then, quite serendipitously, we both returned to work within the same month, both with the same idea: prevention is key. Not to mention, we both have adorable grandbabies who will be living in the future we are creating right now.  In a world that feels like it's spinning out of control, that could be a frightening thought! But we are optimists who realize pulling back from the global picture and focusing on our local community is empowering and calming. 
So, that's what we're doing now. We aren't looking to change the world. We're looking to change a world. Then another. And another. One world at a time. 



So, that's my update! I took Monday off to spend some time in my manuscript and catch up on blog posts. No matter how busy I get, I will never leave books and writer stuff behind. 
Make believe is my happy place. 

Speaking of books...



Some books to add to your TBR list!



Ten-year-old Lucy Santangelo has decided she no longer wants to believe in Santa Claus. That is until she finds a man in a red suit with a long gray beard who knows an awful lot about her, living in their backyard shed. Will Lucy be able to figure out if this is the real Santa Claus and get her Christmas wish?

paperback and ebook from Barnes and Noble
Kindle, paperback, and hardcover from Amazon (Prime eligible)
Please share this post and help me spread the word.


 In Darkness: The Werewolf


Souls shrouded in darkness…
On her own in England, Vicki trains at a prestigious fencing school. Face marred by a birthmark, she’s suspicious of Nicholas’ attention. A dinner date reveals his genuine interest and they begin to connect. Nicholas is attractive and she wonders why he’s so shy and reclusive. 
 Then one evening she happens upon him changing into a lycan. Every werewolf legend is shattered by the gentle, fearful creature before her. Vickie accepts his secret, but Nicholas knows he’s an unpredictable beast. Can they trust love enough to overcome their physical challenges?

LinksAmazon / iTunes / B&N / Kobo / Scribed / Goodreads

21 comments:

  1. And that's all we can do - start changing our corner of the world and let it expand. Before it spirals any further out of control!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we're tuned in 24-7 to news channels who make money from despair and drama, it's easy to feel hopeless. Think smaller, shrink your world. Turn off the tv now and then and help a neighbor. And breathe.

      Delete
  2. I love this part - "We aren't looking to change the world. We're looking to change a world. Then another. And another. One world at a time." Go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have that on our tee shirts. Change a life. Change a world.

      Delete
  3. You are correct, Elizabeth. We can only change "our" world for sure. Bit by bit. You are a strong woman. You can do this. And maintain it. Thank you for sharing this advice with your followers. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for featuring my book!

    We have to be the change we want to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to help a fellow writer and share good stories with readers!

      Delete
  5. Yes, changing a world, then changing another. Thank you so much for all you do, Elizabeth! I'm glad we have awesome people like you working on the prevention side. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's a lot of fun, so it doesn't really feel like work as much.

      Delete
  6. Good on you for being such a positive force for mental health, Elizabeth. It's so important.
    And that first book looks adorable. The second is definitely a great read.
    AND glad you're getting time to work on your manuscript. Let me know if I can help.
    Hugs, Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my own mental health, I decided I owe myself writing time. I will be bugging you for a beta read when I'm done, so be forewarned!

      Delete
    2. I look forward to it:)
      Hugs, Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

      Delete
  7. I am a big advocate of mental health, especially suicide prevention. I'm also one to stand up to bullies. That's one world that should be changed from the top down. You are doing a wonderful thing, Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suicide is heartbreaking and sadly, on the rise.

      Bullies. Yeah, it's hurting people who hurt people, but man do you just want to muzzle them until they learn to play nice.

      Delete
  8. Best way to be. Have to tune out the greedy fear mongering news channels and do what we can closer to home

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prevention in most areas is key. How cool you have a colleague with the same attitude - the more the merrier when it comes to spreading the positivity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you got some Elizabeth time this weekend, you've more than earned it.
    Hugs, Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...