They Called Me Crazy...

3:45 PM Elizabeth Seckman 22 Comments

 https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=19mjERPbT8dzEqSMpdA37yzVSh3O-81vv

Most all of my worldly treasures are valuable to me because of the memory behind them. Take this little masterpiece pictured above. A friend of mine, Mary (who will be first to share this post as she does with all of my posts!), made the framed glass for me years ago. Funny part is, she wanted to surprise me with the gift, so she asked my husband for the details. 
And he guessed at the answers.
He got the wedding date and time right.
And all the boys' birthdates are right.
But their times of birth? Those are ballpark numbers.
But like the C-3PO card with the added appendage (link added in case you don't know what I'm talking about!), the mistake only adds value. Guessing at the times of his children's births is so my husband. And to his credit, he had surprisingly good accuracy. Caleb was after midnight; Cole before lunch; Carter right after breakfast; and Conner before dinner. Not too shabby for a guy who can't remember the names of half the people at his own family reunion.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1AGkUruJWTLpT1ts_GiYorMAQJTupEEuH

I upped the sentimental value of this treasure by replacing the original cream-colored background with a puzzle I forced my family to do while we were on vacation. And when I say forced, I mean forced. If they wanted dinner or a beer... they had to earn their sustenance by adding pieces to the puzzle. No one thought we'd finish in a week, but you'd be surprised how much people can get done when a harpy nags them to do it. I have a signature card of all of my puzzle "workers". My kiddos, the hubs, my sisters, my nieces, and my nephews...they all chipped in. 
They called me crazy at the time, but deep-down, I know they enjoyed it. :)

 
How about you? Any treasures in your house? 

22 comments:

  1. That was really nice! Hey, I probably would've missed the dates as well. Challenging puzzle but not that hard. I've seen worse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty simple puzzle! If it would have been too hard, I'd have lost my help.

      Delete
  2. This is so special. He took time and effort to make it super. I have two plaster hands of my 2 granddaughters. Now they are teens and I look at those molded hands and smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't give him too much credit. He just answered Mary's text with his best guesses.

      I have some molded hands too! I'm not sure what to do ith those. They're very awkward and fragile.

      Delete
  3. That's precious, and a beautiful, fun project.
    I have my family heirloom - a Salvador Dali print, which I framed nicely. It could possibly be authentic, but it's more likely a print.
    I'm not so great with numbers, especially people's birthdays.
    Anyhoo, have a great weekend and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real or not, it's your treasure to cherish.

      I'm horrible with numbers. Had she asked me, I'd have had to look the times up in their baby books.

      Delete
  4. What a lovely treasure and so very personal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE your treasure, so beautiful. I always forget dates, I'm thankful to Google for remembering them for me! Have a great weekend, Elizabeth, take care, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is such a cool gift! I especially loved the story of the forced labor to add to the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! What a wonderful gift! It is truly beautiful. So nice to meet you here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet idea! He was close on the times, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was within an hour of each delivery, so that's pretty impressive considering my own dad couldn't even remember our birthdates. LOL

      Delete
  9. This is so cool!

    Most of my treasures are also valuable for the memories they evoke. My office has quite a few random items that would have little value to anyone but me. Of course a few of them are just weird crap I found at estate sales and decided I liked - like the wood carving of Wile E. Coyote that's currently staring at me from across the office, because my husband found him in an unpacked box and didn't know where to put him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. It's the memories that mean the most. Personally, I like odd crap. Odd crap has more personality.

      Delete
  10. Now, that's a smart way to enlist help! My husband is doing a puzzle right now, but he knows how hopeless I am at them, ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am horrible at them! My family can find five pieces to my one. My son's degree is in forensic science and they had to put puzzles together to teach them to focus and survey details quickly. I have horrible focus, so I thought some puzzle work would help my brain learn to pause. Then we got the kitten and I haven't attempted another puzzle.

      Delete
  11. A treasurer indeed. A very special one.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...