Baby Me

7:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 22 Comments

 


That's me in the tub. I assume it's around February 1970. 
Wouldn't you say I look about six months old in that picture? 
I asked my mother how old I was in the photo years after it was taken, but she had no clue. I made fun of her for that back then. How could she NOT remember the highlights of her child's life? Especially one as adorable as chubby-cheeked little me? And the timestamp on the photo means nothing. I think it says 1975 which only proves that the roll of film waited in a drawer for years before being printed.

When I was pregnant for Boy #1, I was adamant that I was going to be solid on all of my children's memories. Baby books would be done on time and with the thoroughness of a historian, unlike my mother who only got so far as filling in the first page of my baby book: Elizabeth Merry, born August 5th. That's all I got. Not even a weight or a time.

I eventually got over that cockiness.

To my mother's credit, I was baby #5. I only had four of the little critters, and I was scrambling to keep up.

Mature me understands where my mother and I differed.  I, like a historian, was comfortable applying some creative license for the sake of a good story. For example, the most heinous creative fix of child history was the time I had Boy #4 photographed for his one-year-old photo in the morning, got his haircut, changed his clothes, and took him back in the afternoon for his 18-month photo. (For the record, an 18-month-old child is still technically a one-year-old thus maintaining historic accuracy of the baby book.)

Instead of thinking my mom was a slacker, I now understand she just wasn't creative enough. And no one should have a lack of creativity (or time) held against them.

22 comments:

  1. It's a time management issue. I have a brother 6 years older than I am. The Little Prince. My mother "carried him around on a satin pillow". Her phrase. Photo albums and home movies on film show a day in the life of the Little Prince for 6 years. I was the Little Princess when I came around. There just wasn't time to document every second of my life and Ma was tired. Kudos for all moms who even try. 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel bad for my youngest. He was born to a busy house. He was only a few days old and headed to ball fields. But to his benefit, he has three older brothers who look out for him like a security force.

      Delete
  2. The 12-month and 18-month photo story is fantastic! I had one of those baby books for my first, but never got around to filling it in. Locally we have a FB page to pass on our unwanted items to others (reuse, repair, recycle in action!) and it's amazing how many baby books turn up - so we're not alone.

    Hope you had a wonderful birthday x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The smartest gift I was ever given was a baby calendar. It hung on the wall and you could jot notes and put them in the book later. There is just not enough time to do it all with multiple children.

      Delete
  3. Oh, baby books! I never got past the first couple of pages. Such a shame, but photographs help to pin events in place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished them, put them in a cupboard, and they've not really been looked at again. So, there is that too. LOL

      Delete
  4. You are so funny. AND I love the name Merry.
    Hope your bday was wondrous. Hugs,
    Sandra sandracox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a youngster, I hated the name because it was odd. Teachers would ask me if my mother spelled it wrong on purpose. Now, I realize it was a blessing from my mom on my life.

      Delete
  5. It's a purrfect middle name. I get ya on hating it as a child though. Children want to conform and be just like their friends. There were no other Sandy or Sandra's in my school. I wanted to be a Janet or Mary. Hehe. Or maybe a Cathy or Ann:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was like you. I hated anything that made me stand out!

      Delete
  6. My daughter is 31 now. I can look at photos and remember being there for the even taken but can’t recall the year or how old she was. Funny thought, I can relate to her young timeline by the outfits she had on. I can remember “she wore that on her first day of 1st grade” etc…..
    Life can be so hard to remember.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to remember it all. It does help if there is a memory to connect to it.

      Delete
  7. I don't think my mom ever did baby books, but we had plenty of photo albums recording our lives so I think that's good enough. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a bummer to not have more specs. I still have a birth card with all the deets.
    Glad you got that creative gene, my friend.
    And you were such a little cutie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have the details on m birth certificate. I found it all out when I turned 16 and had to get a birth certificate.
      I never did get over the baby fat cheeks. LOL

      Delete
  9. As creative as you are with those 12 mos and 18 mos pictures, you should be a writer. Hehe. Oh wait you are. And an exceptionally good one at that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Life was too rushed. I tried with the 1st but never finished it. The boys once accused me of being one sided so I dug out all the pictures just to prove that I did take as many picture of one as the other. Always a competition with those two, still is. My mother had the habit if dating each photo, wish I'd copied it.
    Lovely name, and you were adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are competitive too. No matter what it is, they can turn it into a challenge. Must be a guy thing.
      And thank you!

      Delete
  11. Ahahahaha! Cracking up at your childhood photo hack. I only have one child, and I still gave up on his baby book after about 6 months. I was too busy, exhausted, and sleep-deprived to do anything that wasn't essential.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I told mine, my only legal obligation is to feed, clothe, and house you. Everything else is bonus.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...