Tales from the Valley...

10:52 AM Elizabeth Seckman 17 Comments

A few months ago, I mentioned I was working with a group of young writers here at home on a short story anthology with our own Spunk on a Stick, Dancing Lemur Press 's Diane Wolfe. The work is now  done and the anthology releases on March 7th. 

Working with these kids has been wonderful on so many levels. One, I got to know an amazing group of humans. They are clever, funny, sensitive, caring...I could go on and on. Second, I was reminded of how much there is to learn, things those of us who have been writing for a long time now take for granted. And three, I had fun. Yes, there were times when I might have, in passing, for the very briefest of moments, thought...I really don't have time for all of this! 

But, just like childbirth, in the end, there is the finished product and the fabulous happy faces. It's beautiful and amazing and you're ready to start the process again. 

Our next meeting is tonight...

If you'd like to help us out and host us on your blog, sign up here. And if you'd like to pre-order a copy of the e-book, Diane has those ready to go! 

Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTV1MJ1J

Barnes & Noble - https://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/2940166012302

Kobo - https://store.kobobooks.com/en-us/Search?Query=9781939844941

Scribed - https://www.scribd.com/search?query=9781939844941&language=0

 

We'll have autographed copies later if you're wanting one of those ;) 

What I'm Reading Now...

Rocket Boys 

I don't know why it has taken me so long to read this novel. Homer Hickam is a fellow Mountaineer who has "done good". Actually, I do know why. I thought it was a work of science fiction and honestly, I'm not a big fan of sci-fi (sorry Alex!). Shows what I knew! This book was an amazingly honest, humble portrayal of West Virginia at its finest. Small towns, dreams, hard work, and of course, some football.  The story is set in a small coal town and portrays miners as they were: brave folks whose dedication to one of the worst jobs on the planet fueled a growing nation. 

The story reminded me of my grandpa, Bud. Born poor, my grandfather had no intention of staying poor. He started work in the coal mines as a young man. By his own accounts, it was an awful job. Deadly hard work. But that was what was easily available, and he needed work to fulfill a goal: to marry my grandmother. In my grandpa's way of thinking, a man couldn't propose until he had the means of supporting his future family. 

Once he was established, he and my grandma married and quickly had three little girls. Tired of the mines, he took classes to be an electrician...locking himself in the bathroom to study because it was the only quiet place in their little house. 

By the time I was a little girl, he was a full-time farmer, retired from the mines and the chemical company where he was the electrician. He was a special guy and as I write this, my mind is flooded with memories of him. He never said much, but he was a man who lived by principle and had a very quiet, most profound impact on who I am today and how I see the world. 

I'd go on, but the post is already too long. I'll have to jot all these memories down and revisit them later...as a walk down memory lane with one of my favorite people. 


My grandpa and me on the farm in 1971


Promo Time 

YEARS IN THE MAKING, IT IS FINALLY AVAILABLE:

In Darkness: The Vampire

By L. Diane Wolfe


Souls shrouded in darkness…

Stuck working as a barmaid for her demanding father, Anna dreams of adventure. When mysterious strangers enter the bar, she overhears they seek Zancrela, an ancient fortress filled with treasure and a magical library. Taking her chance, she offers to guide them. The conditions: deliver Zancrela or die.

As they journey through the wilderness, she discovers their secret: they are vampires. And most view her as food. One takes interest in her and her heart dares to hope, but it might not be enough to change her fate. Will Anna find Zancrela or become a vampire morsel?

Romance/Paranormal/Vampires - Fantasy/Paranormal - Fantasy/Romance
eBook ISBN 9781939844903
$3.99 eBook available in all formats


17 comments:

  1. Awwww! Adorable little Elizabeth with her grandpa! That's so sweet. I read Rocket Boys long ago, after seeing the movie. I also read Hickam's follow up, The Coalwood Way, although it's listed online as Don't Blow Yourself Up. More than one of his books has undergone a title change.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to read the rest of them. I "met" him at a book festival. (By met, I mean I bumped into him going through a door) and he seemed like the nicest, most unassuming man. That humility shows in his books.

      Delete
  2. Cute photo.
    I'd be happy to help with the release.
    I've not read Rocket Boys but I have seen the movie October Sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like it. I haven't seen the movie yet. I like to read the books first and ruin the movie later when it can't live up to the expectations of the book.

      Delete
  3. And I tried to sign up but it says I don't have permission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my first attempt at a google form, so that's not surprising. Don't worry. I know where to find you to schedule something.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for featuring my book. Less than a month to go for Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I have more books to add to my TBR list. I especially like the stories from WV. My entire family is from the hills, mines, and farms of WV. Many from my husbands family too. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will enjoy it. He portrays WV with love and honesty.

      Delete
  6. I pre-ordered a copy of the youth group's e-book, but I'd love to get an autographed copy when they're available.

    I know our grandparents had it rough at times, but I envy the simpler life they had.

    Congrats to Diane! Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Their first sale! Wait until I tell them!

      Delete
  7. You are so generous with your time, whether it's helping young people or showcasing other authors online. Lovely photo of you and your grandfather. Thanks for the book reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and Di have both added stars to your crowns. Reaching out to these young, aspiring writers, what a wonderful thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Working with young people must have been really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! And what a great opportunity for these kids to be mentored like this. Good on you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...