Insecure Writer's Support Group July 2022

7:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 38 Comments


Book launches are a great time to feel insecure. The whole time you're writing and editing, there is room for hope for insta-success...that your story could be released on a day when the stars line up allowing the book fairies to fly about unhindered as they sprinkle stardust on the story, thus launching it straight to the bestseller list. 
The the day the book goes live, the dream gives way to the nightmare of reality, and you begin to doubt anyone at all will buy it. You check the sales page like an orphan at Christmas. You pray for magic, but brace yourself for disappointment. It's exhausting, this roller coaster of hope. Why do you even write? You could have spotlessly clean house if you channeled that book energy into housekeeping. 
But where is the fun in that? 
Then you remind yourself that you are a writer and that writing stories are their own reward, so you close you book stat's page and start your IWSG post for July.

July 6 question - If you could live in any book world, which one would you choose?
I'd move to the Shire from Tolkein's The Hobbit in a heartbeat. I'd avoid all of the adventures and the addictive ring, of course, because I'd be snug in my comfie & content in my little Hobbit Hole. 

Thanks to our awesome co-hosts for this month:

Blurb:

Shelley Ward doesn’t know what she wants out of life, but she knows being a broke, accidental home-wrecker isn’t it. Her whole life, she did what was easy. Her dad coached; she chose a career in football. A guy hit on her; she slept with him. The path of least resistance was leading to a cliff.

Broadway producer, Mark Salvan is a man who keeps his life under control—until he spots Shelley, his high school crush being dragged out of LaGuardia Airport by TSA. He rescues her from security, offers her a job, and gives her a place to stay. He’s certain their chance encounter will be her grand-third-act-closing and the start of their story.

In Shelley’s heart, it feels like destiny—like someone finally sees her. But logic tells her this perfect man can’t be in love with her, that her true destiny will be that of a lonely spinster who’ll be lucky to have the affections of her cat.

Shelley can’t see it, but there’s something special about her, and Mark is determined to prove it.


About Her is the second book in the Second Chance Romance Series. The first book in the series, About Us is a Free read. If you haven't gotten your copy yet, grab it now! 


Second Chance Romances by Elizabeth Seckman
Cover design,  Carrie Butler . Editor, Melissa Maygrove

38 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the release! It is a fun but scary time.
    The Shire is a popular choice today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Oh my, but yes, so many mixed feelings on releases. Wow, I forgot about the shire. Yup, I'd live there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can be my shire neighbor. We could share stories over wine.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the new release! Wishing it all the best out in the world!

    (Apologies if this comment posted twice....)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I'm only seeing one comment, but even if there were two, that's just double the goodness.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the release! I hope it does really, really well!

    And yeah, I'd like to believe my house would be clean if I didn't write. But it wasn't clean back before I started writing, so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine was clean. I used to clean it top to bottom- moving furniture and all- every Saturday, with "straightens" in between. Then I thought...when I die, people will be like she had such a clean house...how freaking boring is that? At the end of it all, I don't want people to be impressed with what I have; I want them to be impressed with what I did.

      Delete
  5. I'm so excited for you! Now we just have to get the word out. It's a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's a great read, I have you to thank. You are always the biggest help, support, and inspiration.

      Delete
  6. Grats on the release! Awesome! You know, a quite time in the shire might not be too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't that be so nice? You can come stay with me. Bring the kids...I'll entertain them while you write in peace for a bit. :)

      Delete
  7. The Shire is a great choice. Beautiful cover and congrats on your new release.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy book launching!
    The Shire has been a popular choice.
    For the IWSG July prompt asking which book world I would live in, I narrowed it down to three choices.
    One is a short-story I published. One is from a popular series. And one is better known from television, but there are books. It's all on my blog.
    "Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett
    Over at Operation Awesome, our Pass or Pages query contest is open this week with July's family saga genre. Know any writers who might want to enter?


    J Lenni Dorner (he/him 👨🏽 or 🧑🏽 they/them) ~ Co-host of the #AtoZchallenge, OperationAwesome6 Debut Author Interviewer, Reference& Speculative Fiction Author

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your own world! That's a great idea. I could write myself my own beachfront home and an ocean without sharks or stingrays.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the new release. I love 2nd chances. The Shire is such a peaceful place, unless the bad guys are around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want to be there post ring trouble.

      Delete
  10. I love this: "your story could be released on a day when the stars line up allowing the book fairies to fly about unhindered as they sprinkle stardust on the story."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Woo Hoo! Many congratulations on the new release.
    Meet you at the Shire.

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats on your release! i got an amazon notification the other day =) woot! it made me happy to know you’re still diligently writing.
    miss you my friend - let me know if you do a show, i need to get back out there!
    Tara Tyler Talks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly but surely I get them written.

      I miss hanging with you too. I need to look around the area for some events.

      Delete
  13. Bravo on your new release. I loved About Us, so I need to check out this new book.

    You are so brave to have a book release. I hope I can be as brave with my college memoir. Yes, many writers dream of becoming a best seller. I dream of having a thousand people read my memoir. Here's hoping. All best to you, Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did? How awesome. I love hearing that!

      I look forward to reading your memoir!

      Delete
  14. Congrats on your latest book launch, Elizabeth. I really enjoyed the blurb and it really makes me want to read the entire book. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a tough blurb to write. Fortunately, I have a very good writer support group.

      Delete
  15. I'd love to visit the Shire too. But Star Wars has my heart. My 2nd choice is Anne McCaffrey's Pern as loved that long before there was a Star Wars, and then I would like to visit Hogwarts too. Congrats on your Book Launch!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrat, Liz and all the best with your release! I could just see you in the Shire... it is a lovely place for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...