Co-Dependent Writer: An IWSG Post

6:12 PM Elizabeth Seckman 26 Comments


A huge thank you to this month's awesome co-hosts!! SE White, Cathrina Constantine, Natalie Aguire, Joylene Nowell Butler, and Jacqui Murray!


I forgot IWSG day!!! I came home from work, told my husband I'd mow the yard and then remebered it was Wednesday. The first Wednesday of June. It's NOT Tuesday, even if it feels like a Tuesday. 
Now, he's out mowing the yard and I'm throwing together a late, but not too, last-minute, thank-goodness-for-the-question post.

When the going gets tough writing the story, how do you keep yourself writing to the end? If have not started the writing yet, why do you think that is and what do you think could help you find your groove and start?
I have never found writing hard. It's difficult finding the time to write, which is frustrating and stressful. But it's never hard for me to find the motivation to link words together. 
Now, I will procrastinate on all the business-related writing stuff like nobody's business. I mean, I will look forward to scrubbing a toilet over boring stuff like setting up ads or applying for a business license to sell books on consignment. I'll eventually make a to-do list of all the nuts and bolts things that have to be done and force myself to wade through the list using writing as my reward. 
Come to think of it...writing is to blame for my addled brain. When I get to the that almost-done zone, I don't want to do anything else but finish that story. 
That kinda sounds romantic, but it's about as beneficial as a jealous boyfriend. It tells me to ignore everything else on my to-do list and spend all of my time with it. Nothing else matters. Not the laundry, or dinner, or your husband out there mowing a lawn you promised to finish. 

I suppose you could say that writing is my unhealthy, co-dependent relationship. I would say, "But on the bright side, it never beats me." But then I remember there are the reviews it brings me...

                 **********

Last week, I said this book was out. It's not. It launched today.  
Maybe I did that on purpose. Maybe I'm just a sloppy, unprofessional mess. You can decide for yourself, but be forewarned: I'm going to consider it a Rorschach Test. 
Congrats to Melissa! A chick who can manage the stories and the business like a boss. 


Insecure Writer’s Support Group—A database resource site and support group for writers and authors. Featuring weekly guests and tips, a monthly blogfest gathering, a Facebook group, a book club, and thousands of links–all to benefit writers! #IWSG
Purpose: To share and encourage. Writers can express doubts and concerns without fear of appearing foolish or weak. Those who have been through the fire can offer help and guidance. It’s a safe-haven for insecure writers of all kinds!

26 comments:

  1. Co-dependent relationship - such an apt description. It is utterly amazing how many unfinished chores needle me when I sit down to write. I went through that "just get it finished" phase when I was wrapping up the first draft of my novel. And as I'm re-reading for the first revision, it shows. 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That fear grips me when I edit. That I'll release it too soon and readers will curse my name for thier waste of money.

      Delete
  2. It seems a wonderful thing how your writing grabs you. I felt that way before, but not anymore. :(( Now, my writing bug is elusive. I have to chase it for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit that some days, my brain will tell me I'm wasting my time and will encourage me to do something more instantly productive like cleaning something. I think we can be very critical of our muses and that makes them tuck tail and hide from us. I hope you find yours soon.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to Melissa! No worries you were late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't be me if I didn't drop a few of the balls I'm juggling every now and then.

      Delete
  4. It's not surprising that you struggle to find time to write. You're working at another job and have a family life, which is important too. If you know you don't struggle when you write, maybe just block out 30 minutes a day to do it and see how much progress you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea. I could probably get a lot more done with a bit of planning.

      Delete
  5. I can relate to your writing relationship, though for me it's all over the place and never just writing. I guess that means I'm not monogamous?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't want to be out in this heat mowing the yard anyway.

    Congrats to Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No doubt. I went out and watered the plants and that was bad enough!

      Delete
  7. I watered too. Of course, it rained later;)
    Fun post. I love that you always have stories swirling just waiting to be put on paper.
    Many congrats to Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Congratulations, Melissa.
    A bit of exercise usually helps me to get my braincells un-stuck.
    Be well, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so with you on procrastinating on the business and marketing side of writing. It's right up there with dusting, my least favorite chore. Congrats to Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  10. your post just gave me the best idea: we need to hire someone to do the business marketing for us! Like an intern who works for free! and we give them advice on writing and they learn how to sell books which helps them get connected and learn more about the publishing business!
    You also just inspired me for next month’s post — thanks!

    ps — i miss you! what have you been up to? summer (and more time) is finally here for me. are we ready to go back and do any events? count me in!

    Tara Tyler Talks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the double promo. I'm not complaining at all. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your co-dependent relationship analogy! That's totally it for me, though I will procrastinate on writing, sometimes by messing with my blog or social media platforms or other business-of-writing tasks. And some days, I'm super excited to plot and play around with my story and write, write, write. So yeah, writing is like the bad boyfriend I just can't quit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually didn't realize there was so much more to writing than the actual writing. I suspect because it is not something I do (except on my blog).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! :) And relatable -- and glad the book is out out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually didn't realize there was so much more to writing than the actual writing. I suspect because it is not something I do (except on my blog).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...