The Mother of Insecurity: IWSG 5/2021

5:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 26 Comments

This weekend is Mother's Day. Be sure to get your mom something nice! 

And that statement demonstrates my insecurity for this month. As soon as I typed that line, I thought...someone might be offended by it. Perhaps I should add a few modifiers, such as: 

Get your mother something nice if she's alive. If she has passed, like my sweet mom, do something nice in her honor. Or maybe you're mother is undeserving. Maybe she's a total b who put cigarettes out on you. In that case, feel free to use that gift money for something nice for yourself because you obviously raised yourself. Or maybe it wasn't you who raised yourself, but instead a mother-like figure who picked up the job. In that case, send her something nice. 

You're probably thinking I'm way overthinking this. All of that for a simple Happy Mother's Day? Ridiculous, right? But that's my problem this month...that little voice in my head that constantly reminds me that every line written, no matter how innocently intended might carry a sticking point that might offend someone somewhere. It ruins the spontaneity of writing, and second-guessing every line is an insecurity maker. 

What kind of writer are you? Bold and undaunted, or a worry wart like myself? 

This month's IWSG question: Has any of your readers ever responded to your writing in a way that you didn't expect? If so, did it surprise you?  I am always amazed by the readers who know my books better than I do. I'll do book chats and I'll not remember the plots, but they do. My only excuse for my failing is to admit that stories are lies and it's hard it is to remember all the lies I've told over the years. 


The next IWSG Anthology is available!

Dark Matter: Artificial
An Insecure Writer’s Support Group Anthology

Discover dark matter’s secrets…

What is an AI’s true role? Will bumbling siblings find their way home from deep space? Dark matter is judging us—are we worthy of existence? Would you step through a portal into another reality? Can the discoverer of dark matter uncover its secrets?

Ten authors explore dark matter, unraveling its secrets and revealing its mysterious nature. Featuring the talents of Stephanie Espinoza Villamor, C.D. Gallant-King, Tara Tyler, Mark Alpert, Olga Godim, Steph Wolmarans, Charles Kowalski, Kim Mannix, Elizabeth Mueller, and Deniz Bevan.

Hand-picked by a panel of agents, authors, and editors, these ten tales will take readers on a journey across time and space. Prepare for ignition!

Founded by author Alex J. Cavanaugh, the Insecure Writer’s Support Group offers support for writers and authors alike. It provides an online database; articles; monthly blog posting; Facebook, Twitter, & Instagram groups; #IWSGPit, and a newsletter.

Release date: May 4, 2021
Print ISBN 9781939844828 $14.95
EBook ISBN 9781939844835 $4.99v Science Fiction: Collections & Anthologies / Space Exploration / Genetic Engineering

Artificial - Stephanie Espinoza Villamor
Space Folds and Broomsticks - C.D. Gallant-King
Rift – Kim Mannix
The Utten Mission – Steph Wolmarans
Sentient – Tara Tyler
One to Another – Deniz Bevan
Resident Alien - Charles Kowalski
Nano Pursuit – Olga Godim
Resurgence – Elizabeth Mueller
Vera’s Last Voyage – Mark Alpert

LINKS: Amazon, iTunes, Kobo, Barnes and Nobel, and Goodreads

      


The Seventh Annual IWSG Anthology Contest! And I'm so excited. I've been pushing  encouraging the IWSG team to do a romance anthology, because I love love stories. So, today is a day to happy dance, and since it's love, let's make it a slow dance ;)

Guidelines and rules:

Word count: 5000-6000

Genre: Sweet Romance

Theme: First Love

Submissions accepted: May 7 - September 1, 2021

How to enter: Send your polished, formatted (double-spaced, no footers or headers), previously unpublished story to admin @ insecurewriterssupportgroup.com before the deadline passes. Please include your full contact details, your social links, and if you are part of the Blogging, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter IWSG group. You must belong to at least one aspect of the IWSG to enter.

Prizes: The winning stories will be edited and published by Dancing Lemur Press' imprint, Freedom Fox Press, next year in the IWSG anthology. (Please see their site for general submission guidelines.) Authors will receive royalties on books sold, both print and eBook. The top story will have the honor of giving the anthology its title.

This is our seventh anthology contest! In addition to Dark Matter: Artificial, previous titles include Voyagers: The Third Ghost, Masquerade: Oddly Suited, Tick Tock: A Stitch in Crime, Hero Lost, The Mysteries of Death and Life, and Parallels: Felix Was Here.

This has been another group posting of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group! .


The awesome co-hosts for the May 5 posting of the IWSG are Erika Beebe, PJ Colando, Tonja Drecker, Sadira Stone, and Cathrina Constantine!


26 comments:

  1. You're not the only one to post concerns about that this week. When everyone is offended and cancel culture is wiping out everything, what do we dare say?
    And I've already sent my mom gifts and flowers!
    Congratulations to the Dark Matter authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago, Bill Maher made a comment about stay at home moms that put my nose in a snit. But then I reminded myself that I am inner motivated, not outer motivated, so screw Bill Maher and his opinions...which he totally has the right to have.

      Delete
  2. I do think we have to watch what we say. But don't let worries stop you from writing. My daughter and I are planning to spend time with my mom on Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Dolly Parton said it best- we should all just try really hard not to be assholes. I'm a social worker by trade, so I am really good at watching what I say. But writing is one-sided. In a conversation, there is inflection and nuances that the written word misses. I'm not afraid of getting myself in trouble as much as I worry about inadvertently stepping on a toe in a world that feels crowded with tender feet.

      Delete
  3. Remembering all the lies I've told over the years - LOL!

    I'm careful what I say most places although I am a bit lax on Facebook - as you well know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, Facebook. I think everyone is a bit lax on Facebook.

      Delete
  4. I worry that my entire novel will offend someone! But it's because of the topic I'm writing about.
    My mom is no longer with us, but I do have to remind hubby that we have to get something for his mom. I should probably just take charge and do it myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs on the mom. I miss mine; I'm sure you miss yours too.

      Yeah, just start buying the gifts and putting his name on them. Although, my husband will sometimes take care of the gift getting. One year he dug weed violets out of the yard because he thought they were some rare anomaly. He was too proud of his efforts to tell him any different.

      Delete
  5. I wish YOU a very happy Mother's Day this coming weekend. You are one of those rockin' moms that I hope to be as cool as.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh shucks, thanks Loni!!! You are cool and then some!

      Delete
  6. Worry wart here, well sometimes, sometimes I can be bold and brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my temper is up my filter drops. Then I give myself a half ulcer worrying about what all I said.

      Delete
  7. And happy Mother's Day to you! Thank you also for making me laugh out loud. Yes, I draft recursively, going back over and over until I can't quite see straight enough to know what's missing. This writing process doesn't exactly make me insecure, but it does take up A LOT OF TIME. So maybe when you write (as you did so deftly here), the humor comes out more, with little circles of insight no one else would have thought of. My Mother's Day wish for you: Celebrate your talent. Really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, your kind words will be my Mother's Day gift! Thank you. You made my day!

      Delete
  8. Well said, Elizabeth, and I'm with you; but not because I think crazed liberal snowflakes are out to get people. My desire is to be sensitive to people's needs and concerns--to show compassion. Some of the things I wrote in my more freewheeling past that I and some other people thought were funny, I don't know now that they were all that amusing.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But we also don't want to get to the point that we second think every thought and are afraid to say anything. I suppose it's time for gut-checks. If you're feeling mean, don't say it.

      Delete
  9. I had to giggle at this line--"it's hard it is to remember all the lies I've told over the years." Very bold, but oh so true. I even get mixed up with my characters as to who was in each book. That's why I have never written a series. Readers would catch all my mix ups. Enjoyed your post. I find I seem to edit not only my writing, but my everyday conversations with real people nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I wrote my series, I had to keep going back and searching for the details to keep it all straight.

      Delete
  10. I do that sometimes too—worry that I might offend someone. But I think I'm learning to just go with the flow. If they don't like what I write, they don't have to stick around!
    I have forgotten so much from my books, that I get so embarrassed when my readers know everything there is to know lol. Your comment about the lies really made me laugh!!
    Hugs
    Suzy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs back at ya, Suzy! You're right. If something offends, move on to something else. I would be an actual liar if I said there weren't writers, actors, etc. that I avoid if they ruffle my feathers. That's my right as a consumer. You're always so wise!

      Delete
  11. You're not alone in this. I always worry about hurting or offending someone. But we should also remind ourselves that we can't please everyone and no matter how good our intentions might be, chances are, someone will always get triggered by something. So far, I think you're doing a great job. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent points, Baiba! Especially the one about me doing a great job. I love that. :)

      Delete
  12. These times are so hard. We all are sort of tenterhooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Times of stress heighten emotions.

      Delete
  13. I saw that after I had posted the post and was not at all surprised. I think social media has heightened our sensitivities. When we have face-to-face interactions, we can read people's body language and expressions and be less offended by comments.

    But as a mom who has stretch marks and empty coffers, I'm offended they want to take away my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That meme is a hoot.
    How are you doing? Have things slowed down.
    Miss ya.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...