The Frugal Freebie

7:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 20 Comments


I've been busy trying to get About Us publication ready. The final lap always sets me behind everywhere else. The end is so close, I hate to pause to do all the other necessary life-things like showering.
I'm joking. I DO shower during the final editing process. Though, I don't often do my hair, make-up, or worry about whether or not my clothes match.

Because this book will be a freebie eBook, I didn't want to pay a bunch for the editing. But I also didn't want to publish an error-filled piece of tripe. So, I enlisted some savvy friends! You may know them- Jo Wake and Sandra Cox. These ladies were sweet enough to help with the editing and error removal.

I also bought Carolyn Howard Johnson's The Frugal Editor. It's a great book for self-editing. Not only are there tips on style and usage, but she breaks it down into editing steps. I've been doing these steps- basically looking at different parts of the story on different read-throughs rather than trying to catch all the mistakes at once. Currently, I am working on the internal dialogue and word echoes. Amazing how many flaws I find when I consider them one by one.

I liked the Frugal Editor so well, I picked up the Frugal Marketer. This book launch will be a credit to these wise, wonderful ladies!





Do you have a book to pitch? Today is the day! 

Twitter Pitch Party Info

Coming May 5th! 





20 comments:

  1. I need to pick up Carolyn's book.
    Just don't forget to breathe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely been worth it!

      I'll keep breathing, as long as the good Lord lets me!

      Delete
  2. Her books are wonderful. There are so many great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully you shower a few times through editing lol have to remember to edit ourselves a bit too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shower yes, but don't bother about the housework. Good luck with the publishing and thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need all the luck I can get!

      I'll take your advice on the no-housework.

      Delete
  5. Might have to peek at those books myself. Hope you're having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't used the frugal editor yet, but I have faith it will be good.

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a great book to assist with self editing. I would need lots of help with grammar. :) I laughed at the showering bit as I noticed once a second kid came along, the washing of the hair every day just no longer takes priority. It's comparable as I'm sure these books take as much care as a baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daily hair washing is bad for your hair anyhow. I decided that after baby #3. LOL.

      Delete
  7. Hi Elizabeth...

    Great that you found some help with you "freebie!" Where do you find the time. I am finally up to visiting the blogosphere. My surgical stitchers were removed today, and it looks like I will heal with very little scaring, THANK GOD... I am so vain you know... lol I looked like I was hit in the face with a baseball bat and it will be about another three weeks for the swelling to go down and four months for it to be completely normal. Ugh. At least I can now be seen in public. I do hope and prayer this is the last bit of skin cancer I have, this was a real learning experience for me. Basal cells are a lot worse than we all know...cancer is cancer. Thanks for dropping by...it's always wonderful to see your lovely smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear you're doing well. You are right- cancer is cancer. When you've lost someone to cancer, you know what it can do and when you hear the word, it stops your heart a little.

      I'd never call you vain! But if there is no need to scar a handsome face, then by all means don't do it.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on the upcoming release. I need to get that book too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woo Hoo. Congratulations on the very almost release. I do know both of the lovely ladies who helped - and am so pleased (and unsurprised) that they came to the party for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats. You've one foot in the finish line!
    You're strides ahead of me til I can pitch it.
    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Carolyn's site..I need to pick up her books.

    Great cover for "About Us!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Writer friends are so awesome. Will have to check out Carolyn's book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woo Hoo! You are on the home track. How kind of you to give me an honorable mention. Thank you. Also thanks for mentioning the self-editing book. I'm heading for Amazon now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...