Making Mistakes: December IWSG

11:18 AM Elizabeth Seckman 26 Comments


When my husband and I were first married we went to Lexington, South Carolina via Savannah, Georgia. We were driving down from the north east, so if you understand American geography, you'll recognize that we drove right past Lexington and continued to head a few hours too far south. 

I was bad with maps and my husband was still foolish enough to trust my sense of direction, which is so flawed, I need a GPS in the mall.

Or the time I tried to cook dried soup beans in a crock pot without adding water. After eight hours of cooking, they were as delicious as eating a bowl full of pebbles.  

Twenty-six years later, I know to cook soup beans with water and I never go anywhere without Google Maps. 

Expecting perfection from day one is the quickest route (or best recipe...depending on which metaphor you like best) to crippling insecurity. Life has a learning curve. Give yourself time to learn it. 


Thanks to our leader and ninja master, Alex Cavanaugh and this month's guest ninjas: J.H. Moncrieff, Tonja Drecker, Patsy Collins, and Chrys Fey!


Today’s question - What are five objects we’d find in your writing space? 

I do most of my writing on a laptop, so I have a mobile "office". Since I am always writing in different places, I bought a laptop desk with storage. I can store my daily planner and book notes in it and always have them handy.
Folding Lap Desk, laptop desk, Breakfast Table, Bed Table, Serving Tray - The lapdesk Contains Extra Storage space and dividers, & folds very easy,great for kids, adults, boys, girls
Laptop desk from Amazon


The #IWSGPit Twitter pitch is once a year now.
And the next one is in January!
Don’t miss it.

26 comments:

  1. If I ever actually got off my butt and moved from my office, I would so want that laptop desk! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That laptop desk is brilliant.
    If you ended up in Savannah, yeah, you were just a little bit past the target...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That mobile office is amazing. So cool.
    As to the rest, I guess we improve with age ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That laptop desk is such a great idea!

    "Life has a learning curve." What a great quote. If you made that up, get it patented--quick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That laptop desk is brilliant! I may have to add one of those to my Christmas list.
    I love what you had to say about mistakes, and I'm with you on needing GPS everywhere. I have friends who amaze me with their sense of direction, and I amaze them with my lack of one.
    And, my hubs isn't any better. Once, he kept on his bicycling tracker while he went to the grocery store and we looked at the "track" he took in the grocery store later and laughed for quite a while. I think he looped and zig-zagged through the store at least five times looking for three items.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is one giant learning curve. I hope your crockpot after that first attempt wasn't hard to get clean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love that laptop desk!! I think I will get one for myself. And I had to laugh about your sense of direction. I am the same. If I ever remember where I've parked in a lot it will be a true miracle LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love a laptop desk! It'd make it much more comfortable to write in bed, and when there are no free tables at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like everybody else has already said, that laptop desk is fantastic. I'll definitely have to look into getting a couple of them. :) Thanks!

    Yeah, life's definitely got a learning curve. (I hope we get GRADED on a curve, too...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what happened to my comment on your last post, (The Internet must've eaten it!) but I wanted to let you know I read your story on Wattpad, and it's fantastic! More, please...

      Delete
  10. That laptop desk is grand indeed. Yep, sure a learning curve to everything. Some have a huge curve, others a little bump.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The laptop desk is great!
    I don't think I could live without GPS. Or at least, I could never go anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a mobile office like you. I really like the Amazon laptop desk. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is one cool laptop desk! I want one.

    As to getting lost...if I'm in a closet, I can get lost, so you and I must vow never to travel together.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a cool desk. People say we learn more from our mistakes than from our successes. I've found that true. Early in our marriage, I discovered that recipes calling for 1 tsp of pepper are flawed. LOL Have a great month.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL oh dear, Elizabeth – I'm glad I'm not the only one! When I was about seven or eight, my auntie asked me to boil some eggs. I said I don't know how. So she said, 'just put the eggs in the saucepan and put them on the heat'. And that's exactly what I did!!! Can you imagine the smell after a while? I'll never forget to add water again he he he!!
    Suzy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Like everyone else has said, that laptop desk is fantastic. I love it!

    I'm a little too mobile these days to use it. Lately, I've been doing most of my writing on my phone. It's a strange feeling, and not nearly as fast as using a physical keyboard, but it gets the job done.

    But the second my life calms down enough to start writing consistently on a keyboard again, I'm getting that desk.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I roam around the house, wherever my muse takes me to write. Laptops are great for that. Everyday is a learning experience. In life and in my writing. So true, Elizabeth. Good Post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the little desktop I will have to take a look at one of those. Happy IWSG.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great thing! I've never seen one before. And to be fair, we didn't have Google Maps back then. But that can go wrong too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made a mistake once. I never admit to it though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the desk idea, almost as much as I love what you wrote. You are right. It is important to not beat yourself up if a mistake is made. I have to re-learn that all the time, unfortunately! You always have the best stories. You and our friend Mork should write comedy. You both have quick wit like Tina Fey!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a great laptop desk. I have one as well, but mine doesn't have storage like yours does.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like you learned from an experience and made an improvement. All good to me:) As for a writing space, most of mine is done on a laptop while on public transit :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great lap desk! Oh, and that story about the beans. Yep. I made that one too. Once. lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...