Playing God 

6:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 28 Comments


My faith is strong, but I suck at being religious. All those rules...I usually end up breaking at least a few before the morning coffee is brewed. It's not like I want to be a moral heathen, crap just happens. Trust me, I want to be good and do the right things. But life is complicated and being human can be rough. 

Years ago, frustrated with wading through our gray, chaotic world, I asked my uncle and my cousin, the most devout people I knew, "Where should I stand on this and that?" 

My uncle said, "I know you own a Bible. Read it. Pray on it. That's where you'll find your answers. Never let man, any man tell you what your faith is."

My cousin said, "Never lose sight of the power of grace and love by focusing on the rules."

Hmm. 

I had some work to do. I started at the beginning. Page one. Genesis. 

By the time I was even part way through, I decided there was a recurring theme in the Bible. We screw up. God forgives. 

Over and over. From the apple to the crucifixion, humans do dumb things. Now, there is only one thing I'm certain of-- only God can be God, and I'm good with that. 


28 comments:

  1. Amen! He sure does forgive us.
    That was wise advice given to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you went to the right people for advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart lady! If more people realized they aren't the One in charge, the world would be a better place. Let go... and let God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Letting go of worry over things that are completely out of my control was the saving grace to my stomach lining, for sure!

      Delete
  4. Screw up we all do. As for rules, pffft we don't follow so he'll have to forgive haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. And as soon as we decide we're perfect and flawless, we're probably being arrogant buttholes that no one wants to be around. LOL

      Delete
  5. Nice. I wasn't a "good Jewish girl" this year in that I - sshh - skipped High Holiday services. But living a good life is what matters - not abiding by countless rules. Gotta enjoy those mai tais too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day, lady! One day we will meet for those drinks and enjoy our imperfections together.

      Delete
  6. I feel ya:) Always have had my faith in God, even if not always in some of the human institutions that use his name on earth. But it's all good, all part of the journey:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any degrees in theology, but I'm thinking those are the ones guilty of using the name in vain.

      Delete
  7. Try your best, don't go out of your way to "get" anybody and repent when you've really screwed up. God will forgive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All we can do is our best and try to do the right thing. My heart won't let me do otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We should all aim to do our best we can. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a lovely post, Liz. I can relate to how tough it can be at times to recognize that we're all human and we all screw up from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pretty good at screwing up. If it were a skill, I'd say I've mastered it.

      Delete
  11. True words! Me too. Nice to know God knows we're human!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...