Deer of Nara

6:00 AM Elizabeth Seckman 28 Comments

My son was traveling around Japan after Christmas before heading to China for this semester's classes. Of all the stuff he saw-- Tokyo, ancient shrines, historic relics-- nothing impressed him nearly as much as the wild-tame-sacred deer of Nara, Japan. 


My son wasn't a large cap kind of guy, until Nara. 
According to Caleb, these deer are thought to be spirit gods. Takemikazuchi-no-mikoto, the Japanese Thunder god and first sumo wrestling match contender, visited the city of Nara riding a deer. Since that visit, the deer have been considered sacred. So sacred, in fact, up until the 1600's, killing one of them was a capital offense. 


Friendly and photogenic

Now, they are just considered a national treasure and have free reign over the entire town.


Best photo bomb ever
In researching this post, I read a lot of blogs that found these amazing deer to be a nuisance. Not for my son. He was in instant love. Maybe it's because he was raised in a home-zoo where critters always outnumbered humans. He was thrilled that a wild animal was as friendly as the most affectionate pet. He said they would come right up to you and would even bow-- which is a Japanese greeting and sign of respect and appreciation. 

Whether you consider them a pest or a spiritual being, they are undeniably something special. 


It must be love.




Time for my small things check-in. Thanks to our hosts LexaL  .G, and Tonja Drecker for this weekly reminder to look for the good things in life! 

Although my week wasn't half as exciting as my son's, I did get some things done, which is always something to celebrate. I have been decluttering. Cole, boy #2, saw my stack of stuff to donate to charity and said I was giving away their childhood. Then he narked me out to his brothers who all wanted to save their memories, AKA dusty stuff. 
I now know to never let them see what's headed out of the house. Same with their father-- he complains about the clutter, but then may have a use for every item in the get-rid-of pile. Decluttering is a job best done alone. 

I also managed to outline a new book. I usually just make a timeline, but this time, I broke the story down by chapter. I'm hoping writing it will be easy-- famous last words, I know. 

And don't miss this!


Don’t forget to mark your calendar for the next IWSG Twitter Pitch Party – Thursday, January 18!

With hundreds of agents and publishers, this one will be ten times bigger than our first event.






28 comments:

  1. That is a great photo bomb! Deer are normally skitterish, so I can understand why your son found it so cool. I guess to some, they become like giant squirrels, everywhere and into everything.
    Thanks for mentioning #IWSGPit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that clutter is sacred stuff (as long as it's my stuff)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the problem in our house- no one wants to get rid of anything. Maybe we could build a storage building...

      Delete
  3. haha awesome photobomb indeed. I suppose when used to them they may become a nuisance or at least poop bombs. Chuck the clutter before any see, way to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will chuck it when home alone-- even if I have to carry load after load to the van all by myself.

      Delete
  4. Those deer are gorgeous. I always found the best way to get my kids to play with their toys was to put them in a pile to donate! They completely ignored them the rest of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you about decluttering! If I didn't sneak things to the garbage, they'd never get there. Especially when it comes to my hubby's stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And with all the kids we have, some things have got to go to make room for it all.

      Delete
  6. I'd be as thrilled with those deer as your son. Not a nuisance at all! (Then again, I get excited about lizards and armadillos...)

    It's hard to get rid of stuff. It never fails. Something can sit in the darkest corner of your basement, covered in dust and cobwebs, but as SOON as you get rid of it... you'll need it. (That's how my hubby and I think, which is why we reeeeeeeally need to de-clutter...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That has happened to me. I'll get rid of something and then need it later. But almost nothing is irreplaceable. I think it's cheaper to buy something I've gotten rid of every now and then than all the times I've bought another of something I think is lost in the house and then find the original in the clutter.

      Delete
  7. How cool! It's like a free petting zoo. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All it costs is the crackers they are stalking you for.

      Delete
  8. I have a love, un-love relationship with our deer. Love to see them wandering our yard. Hate it when they get to the roses and leave me bare limbs. Great photo of your son and one of those critters. That's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One year they kept mowing down my tulips as soon as they'd bud. I let my dog pee around the flower bed for about week and that seemed to end it. Let them think the flowers are protected by a predator. They don't know that wolf is only ten pounds big. LOL

      Delete
  9. Awww...so sweet. I would have wanted to bring that deer home with me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love animals so much. How can you resist a deer bowing to you? My dogs found a newborn deer once on our property on one of our walks. They just went up and sat next to it until my hubs and I got there. They were good as gold. Thank goodness the mama came back for it because I was beside myself with worry that a bear or mountain lion would get it.

    I need to declutter badly! You should see my garage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We cleared out the garage (and then stuffed it full again!) last year. I suppose I should just stop shopping.

      I love animals too. When I was little I wanted to be a rich writer who ran my own farm of pet animals. I guess I am living the dream, sans money and acreage.

      Delete
  11. They are so cute! Funny enough, I think they would’ve been a highlight for me and would’ve made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!It's like a petting zoo the size of a town.

      Delete
  12. How sweet those pictures are! I can't imagine finding those deer to be a nuisance, but they're not photo-bombing me around the clock (gosh darnit).

    Yeah, you can't de-clutter with clutter bugs around to inspect the process. Gotta de-clutter (banish) the clutter bugs until you're done.

    Cheers, girlie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's time to travel light. Excess weighs down the soul, and catches dust.

      Delete
  13. There's something peaceful and sweet when you spot a deer in a clearing. My children always point and say "Deer!" so excitedly I am always smiling. I think it's really great how your son still finds them amazing. I also love how you raised your kids with animals around them. Good luck on your new outline. I hope everything turns out just as you hope :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think raising kids with animals teaches them so much- responsibility and empathy to name a couple.

      Delete
  14. Aw, those deer are so cute! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...